Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

6.0L (LC6) - It looked better new and shiny

Search this Thread

Old July 31st, 2019, 8:17 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 6.0L (LC6) - It looked better new and shiny

Those are definitely aluminum heads.

New and Shiny.

Last edited by dberladyn; July 31st, 2019 at 8:20 PM.
Old July 31st, 2019, 8:29 PM
CF Pro Member

I guess I should put this mess in a wire loom. I think I have the right sizes here. Clean it up nice and pretty. At least where there is loose wires. I added a few things.

I'll explain the BlueSkin another day. The original plan was to have the whole interior sprayed with rubber bedliner when it was brand new. $700. A friend talked me out. Mainly because he wanted me to stop what I was doing and come work on his house. At the time, it was the only chance for me to have the van done. It was August, hotter than hell, everything was clean and new, I had the money, I had the time, it was even scheduled. I have kicked myself for that often. The BlueSkin and other things I tried for liquid proofing where time consuming wastes. Essentially the materials I use are caustic. Not only that, but overtime, it doesn't matter who you are, you will spill dirty water. I wanted to prevent rust. Originally, I wanted to be able to just hose it out and never worry about water and metal. However, may it's for the best. I mean, the rubber likely would have never got into every nook and cranny. Right?

Last edited by dberladyn; July 31st, 2019 at 11:42 PM.
Old August 1st, 2019, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator

Received 658 Likes on 597 Posts

Have you tested to see if it floats?
Old August 1st, 2019, 1:58 PM
CF Pro Member

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
Have you tested to see if it floats?
I am sure she would sink like a Rock. It's interesting that BlueSkin darkened where I had the cork under the floor matt. The cork dried out and became brittle. I need a better underlay.
Old August 4th, 2019, 3:39 PM
CF Pro Member

Wow. Such a simple job. Put loose wires in Wire Loom. Three days later, I think I can start my truck. Wow.

Pictures coming soon. I know where I want the fuse boxes and probably the amplifier location too. It solves everything. I will mount it and at least one more box (I had two spares at one time) on that lip. I will raise the whole floor between the seats to match the back which is also going to be rebuilt and raised another inch and a half. The amps can sit on top between the seats. On top of the amps will be a custom console. One that sits at the seat level. When it is done you should be able to slide all the way across like a bench seat. This will be removable, but at this height a person can lay across and they should also still be able to get to the back fairly easy. There will be foot room between the dog house and the console. Removing the dog house has been an area of concern because I do not want to add time to a mechanic, nor put him in a bad mood while he has to work on the truck during some issue. Once the wiring is all in a loom, functioning and nice and pretty, it will be simple to add a wire for this, for that, or to add custom control features. It just solves everything.

"Cross my Wires" - Just kidding.
A play on Crossing Fingers.

(PS. I would work faster in a nicely lit, shaded, garage out of the heat and out of public view. I feel like a dork with the neighbours. I have had this interior so many times it is near lunacy. The heat slows me down, as does wondering what the neighbours think.. I shouldn't care, but I do.)

Last edited by dberladyn; August 4th, 2019 at 3:49 PM.
Old August 4th, 2019, 7:15 PM
CF Pro Member

As you can see, this looks so much better. It makes trouble-shooting easier too. The wires are separated into groups. Would I recommend anyone do this?

No. Absolutely not. You see loose wires yet because I am going to make a few changes to make customization easier down the road. I just want to bring it back to general function with a few options disabled while I refine the plan.

Where ever there was a juncting splice (in this case factory spices) I marked the cable with white tape. I have actually removed the junction and I will just run an extra wire to compensate. I do not like splices. They are my enemy. I also want all the junctions in one place for access. Hence the extra fuse boxes. They'll make perfect project boxes. I had a third one. I have a feeling I threw it out. It would fit perfect with the other two./