Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

87 g20 no rear interior lights

Search this Thread

Old December 6th, 2018, 9:42 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 g20 no rear interior lights

1987 g20 No rear interior lights. Checked fuses in fuse box. Looked for aux fuses behind driver seat. There was fuel tank selector instead. I need to know where the feed for power to the rear lights comes from.
Old December 6th, 2018, 5:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Is this a stock van, or a conversion?
Old December 6th, 2018, 6:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You want to add rear lights because there are none, or they don't work?
If the former, just run back from the front dome light.....If you are worried about adding to an existing circuit use an led bulb .

My 95 g van was an uplevel model....chrome bumpers quad headlights, power windows and locks...etc. If I remember right there was an over ride switch to turn the rear lights on and off at the back of the van.

Last edited by canucklehead; December 6th, 2018 at 6:44 PM.
Old December 6th, 2018, 8:32 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

From the Fuse Panel Box.

You need to get a schematic for that year. I can tell you on the newer years like mine the positive wire is blue with a white stripe. Orange may also be used. The two colours depend on the intended functioning of the lights.
Old December 7th, 2018, 6:04 AM
CF Beginner

It is a conversion with about a foot added to the roof. The lights are controlled by three switches that are mounted in the roof over the console along with a cb radio that is also dead. It's as if there is an override switch or fuse that I can't find. There are dome lights on each side and in the rear that aren't working. Two lights over the console come on when the door is opened

Last edited by dchamp; December 7th, 2018 at 11:15 AM. Reason: additional information
Old December 7th, 2018, 11:11 AM
CF Veteran

First, I'd pull that CB out and with a volt meter or a test light, determine if you have power there at all. Also, look to see which direction wires go. This will help in tracing where power comes from.

Is this a custom van, or a camper? Any idea who did the conversion?
Old December 7th, 2018, 2:43 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for your interest and help. I believe this to be a Gladiator, no camping eqpt just captain chairs and a couch. There isn't enough spare wire to pill out the cb. Can't tell the direction or color of the wires. Wires to the side lamps are white and black. Wire to the black are dark blue and grey. If becomes necessary to trace wires. I can do that. A schematic for this unit would really be nice. I was hoping someone would say there's switch hidden in the spare tire or such.
Old December 7th, 2018, 7:00 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Well.. it's custom so... it might even have a secondary fusebox. In the modern vans GM provides a high amperage four wire connector for an upfitter to build from. This gives the upfitter negative, battery, run... and possibly one other. It could be the same on yours. The upfitter might have taken that lead and added a fusebox somewhere. Who knows. Good luck.
Old December 7th, 2018, 9:49 PM
CF Veteran

I think it was '85 where they replaced the spare tire switch with technology based on the Turbo Encabulator.

Old May 22nd, 2022, 8:29 AM
CF Beginner

Sooner or later, the bulbs in the rear lights burn out. It would seem that it's easier to take a new light bulb, suitable for the size of the base and voltage, and install it instead of the burned out one. If you install low-power bulbs in your brake lights and direction indicators, other drivers will simply not see your signals in inclement weather. And powerful lamps in dimensions will greatly interfere with drivers driving behind and annoy them. For example, I used a fairly powerful
car lighting car lighting
and I didn't even need special tools for replacement, except for a screwdriver to unscrew the two screws from the side of the trunk seal.

Last edited by Odenkurtiak; May 26th, 2022 at 8:15 AM.

Quick Reply: 87 g20 no rear interior lights