Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

98 3500 cutaway, ready to scrap it.

Search this Thread

Old September 19th, 2020, 6:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 3500 cutaway, ready to scrap it.

Here's the issue- it always cranks but sometimes it'll start up but not really, either way it will not run even when it acts like it's going to start. In the beginning it was very intermittent and only in cold weather if we stuck it in a shop over night it was fine but it progressed to get worse.
new parts are-
F/P
Distributor
F/P relay
Spider and Reg
Crank Sensor
Plugs
Wires
Coil
Ignition Control Module
Even hooked up a computer out of one of the other trucks we have and it does the same thing, all new ground cables. Blue spark, 60 psi of fuel. The codes haven't been checked in some time but the last time I messed with it, it only had a couple abs codes. So any advanced gurus got a idea? I don't believe there is a fuel pump control module on these older ones nor a bcm. So I'm just kinda out of ideas.

Last edited by David Goodrich; September 19th, 2020 at 6:10 PM.
Old September 22nd, 2020, 10:31 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

i know you replaced the grounds but did you clean the contacts? not 100% on the motor youre working on but does it have camshaft position sensor?
Old September 23rd, 2020, 5:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Irish_alley
i know you replaced the grounds but did you clean the contacts? not 100% on the motor youre working on but does it have camshaft position sensor?
Yes it was a complete brand new distributor from GM itself camshaft position sensor is internal on it this is a 5.7. And yes all contacts were cleaned, however I'm thinking about changing engine harness next.
Old September 29th, 2020, 2:07 PM
CF Active Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by David Goodrich
Here's the issue- it always cranks but sometimes it'll start up but not really, either way it will not run even when it acts like it's going to start. In the beginning it was very intermittent and only in cold weather if we stuck it in a shop over night it was fine but it progressed to get worse.
new parts are-
F/P
Distributor
F/P relay
Spider and Reg
Crank Sensor
Plugs
Wires
Coil
Ignition Control Module
Even hooked up a computer out of one of the other trucks we have and it does the same thing, all new ground cables. Blue spark, 60 psi of fuel. The codes haven't been checked in some time but the last time I messed with it, it only had a couple abs codes. So any advanced gurus got a idea? I don't believe there is a fuel pump control module on these older ones nor a bcm. So I'm just kinda out of ideas.
If it starts right up using a little starting fluid or brake cleaner then it may not be getting a injector squirt when you turn ignition on. If it doesn't fire right up using a cheater fluid then it could be a connection. I always use a stiff wire brush and dielectric grease even on grounds. Ecm grounds too. Extend a wire on multimeter with audible to check wires on harness before you replace it. Had one small ground burn thru before hooked up a big ground to starter bolt