Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

98 G3500 Running too lean? blowing white smoke, misfires, CEL, hesitation at idle

Search this Thread

Old December 15th, 2011, 12:51 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 98 G3500 Running too lean? blowing white smoke, misfires, CEL, hesitation at idle

Sup fellas...

So I replaced my Intake Manifold gaskets (upper and lower) to fix a coolant leak, before the coolant mixes with the oil. fixed. everything replaced, distributor aligned back to TDC, engine turns over, seems to be ok. no vaccum leaks (that I can feel, hear, etc), but, van appears to be running WAY TOO LEAN.

Is blowing excesive white smoke through the tail pipe, idles rough below id say.... maybe 1000k RPM (van has no tach), and causes a Flashing Check Engine Light when revving the motor.

It causes several cylinder misfires, etc.

so, i checked the MAF, its clean, its good. the Throttle body is sealed ok, no air leaks, dipstick is sealed correctly, no additional air being sucked into the motor... vacumm appears to be ok...

do I just need a simple tune from a Tech 2, Snap-On, etc. Scanner? I drive out from Dallas to Los Angeles in 2 days (firday dec. 16th) so i need a response fairly quickly.

I'm taking it to a dealer tomorrow, but before they try and rape me with some BS to get more money out of me, how much is a simple tune to get the timing to advance to 0, and will that phase out and remove the rough idle, running too lean portion.

also, will me driving the van for about 49 miles affect anything, prior to a tune? i'm assuming a decrease MPG due to too much fuel, not enough air...?

any suggestions/advice/tips are GREATLY appreciated. THanks!
Old December 15th, 2011, 12:06 PM
KHD
CF Beginner

had same problem this summer, '04 1500 conversion, running lean, misfires, was scanned and it ended up being the converter. expensive fix. it will depend on what the codes are. mine showed lean both frt o2 senors,low voltage o2 senors, mulitable cylinder misfire, but running when misfires can ruin the converter. then it through a code rear o2 sensor out of spec, bad converter. maybe this will help. put a scan tool on see what codes.

Last edited by KHD; December 15th, 2011 at 12:11 PM.
Old December 15th, 2011, 9:34 PM
CF Beginner

I'll have to take it to the dealer. I have constant Cylinder 2 misfire, and i replaced all 8 plugs, and 8 plug wires... still hesitates, pings, blows white smoke, MPG has dropped and idles rough...

i'll take it to a dealership tomorrow. we'll see how things go. THanks KHD.. i hope its not the cat!!
Old December 15th, 2011, 9:56 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How white/ thick is the smoke? Does it smell sweet? Did it smoke before? Run bad before? Seems to me the intake maybe leaking coolant internally
Old December 16th, 2011, 8:51 AM
KHD
CF Beginner

i forget to add, my problem was probably started with a tank of gas with to much ethanol. I was in the southwest when i had the problems. i was told there had been problems with dealers or distributors adding more ethonol. there had been test done and found as much as 20 percent.engine killer. then i ruined the converter by driving with misfire.
Old December 21st, 2011, 6:25 PM
CF Beginner

after $100 at the dealership, the van was off 10 degrees from TDC. it was electronically calibrated using a Tech 2 tool. now, that cylinder 2 misfire was a low compression on cylinder 2. so i'm gonna swap the plug and hopefully that will cease the misfire.

in the event that is not the cure, how to i fix a low compression on a cylinder?

i'm gonna swap the plug for a new one, and then run a "restore" (the silver can) in the motor.

i've been told it could be a valve that's sticking OR a lifter?

any thoughts on this? how could i fix a "sticking valve"? seafom has been ran through the fuel tank.
Old December 21st, 2011, 6:29 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by MDTAHOE
How white/ thick is the smoke? Does it smell sweet? Did it smoke before? Run bad before? Seems to me the intake maybe leaking coolant internally

the smoke was a white/clear fog. no coolant sweet smell. i doubt there's a leak on the manifold. white smoke went away when timing was set back to TDC. engine was running too lean, and too much gas, not enough air caused the air/fuel mixture to waste more gas.
Old January 29th, 2012, 5:44 AM
CF Beginner

Cool repair white smoke problem

Your fuel regulator on the fuel rail is leaking
causing the vacuum line connected to it to cuck gas into the intake manifold
replace fuel regulator all that problem will be solved