Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

99 Astro Van Noises

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2018, 9:41 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 99 Astro Van Noises

Specs:
v6 vortec
rwd
230k miles

2 days ago we blew a return trans cooler line. Got it towed via a rollback tow truck to a local mechanic where they repaired the hose(Spliced in a new piece). Now we are getting the following symptoms which weren't even showing the slightest bit prior to the trans cooler line blowing.

- Check gages light
- 2-5 idle oil pressure - 15-20 moving /// Before trans cooler line failure we were getting 20 idle oil pressure and 40 moving
- Hesitation on staying running when coming to a stop
- Ive isolated the noise with a long tube to be coming from where the starter bolts to the motor

Things ive tried:
Marvel Mystery Oil in the oil
Seafoam in the vacuum intake line
Oil Filter

And again even with 232k miles we were not having any symptoms from the trans / motor at all. Ran like it would brand new back in 99.

Any ideas?
Old May 9th, 2018, 9:50 AM
CF Beginner

Im going to go take a video of what its doing and attempt to figure out how to upload it. Be back shortly.
Old May 9th, 2018, 10:09 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

When was the last oil change? If it's been close to needing it, put a 1/4 can of Seafoam in the oil to flush, and then change it.
Old May 9th, 2018, 10:16 AM
CF Beginner

Oil looks clean. Just bought it about a few weeks ago when our rings gave out on our 94 f150. Still trying to figure out how to upload this video.

Also after putting that MMO and Seafoam in and went to start it this morning to take this video it was holding 40 pounds for oil pressure until I took it for a spin around the block. It dropped to the 20 pounds after it warmed up while not moving in gear. With 35-40 while moving. Still have the hesitation like it wants to stall out when I go to stop..

When I get this uploaded you will defiantly be able to tell its coming between the trans and motor right at the starter area.

From what im seeing is it could be a flexplate crack? Still rather upload this and let yall decide. Thank you

Last edited by LewisFamily8719; May 9th, 2018 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Last line input
Old May 9th, 2018, 10:29 AM
CF Beginner

And as I said above I used about a 3ft piece of garden hose and this noise is directly coming where the trans bolts onto the motor.

*Edited for more speicific* - Put hose to front facing side against trans at trans / motor.

Last edited by LewisFamily8719; May 9th, 2018 at 11:10 AM.
Old May 9th, 2018, 11:37 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I had an '74 P20 step van with a 350 V8 in it. It had a similar noise. A GM line mechanic took literally 5 seconds of it to hear that the torque converter was loose on the flywheel. Granted it's been "mumblemumble' years ago, It sounds similar to me.
Old May 9th, 2018, 2:40 PM
Super Moderator

Received 677 Likes on 613 Posts

You are in the full-size van section. I'm not trying to be rude, but you may get better help in the Astro section:

https://chevroletforum.com/forum/astro-28/

I can also recommend astrosafarivans.org