Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

99 chevy express 1500 starting issue all imput apperciated

Search this Thread

Old July 6th, 2012, 8:50 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 chevy express 1500 starting issue all imput apperciated

i just bought a 99 chevy express 1500 series work van has the 6 cylinder in it. for some reason when its cold it will not start i then spray a little startin fluid in the intake and then it will start rite up no problem then after i run it for a few it will start back up with a problem. anyone have a problem like this? i have been searching around have not found any one to have this problem all imput is really apperciated as this is my only form of transportation.
Old July 9th, 2012, 8:59 PM
CF Beginner

Sounds like maybe your not getting enough fuel....Engine light on???
Old July 15th, 2012, 10:40 AM
CF Beginner

There are several connector plugs in the wiring for the fuel pump. Open the wiring plug located at the front of the fuel tank. On close inspection you may find one of the terminals looks darker and has melted plastic around it. This is the terminal for the wire that operates the fuel pump. I ran a jumper line around the connector and solved my problem.
Old July 21st, 2012, 8:47 PM
CF Beginner

Maybe a tune up? New plugs wires and air filter? Those things are never a waste of money if its reasonably due for them and you do it yourself. Might check the fuel pressure too. Could be the fuel filter is restricted. Also, run a can of good injector cleaner through it if you haven't already.

Next time you do a cold start turn on the key and wait 5 seconds without cranking the engine. Then turn the key off, wait 5 to 10 seconds and then turn the key on again for 5 seconds then crank it and see it it starts any easier. Basically you are pumping up the fuel delivery system really good before you crank it. If this helps, it could be pointing to a fuel delivery issue

You can pick up a fuel pressure kit reasonably cheap at an import tool company like Harbor Freight or JC Whitney.
Old July 22nd, 2012, 9:29 AM
CF Monarch

Received 352 Likes on 333 Posts

Any check engine light? If so what is the code? More than likely it needs a fuel pump.