Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

'99 Express 1500 Spare Tire Hanger Replacement

Search this Thread

Old January 30th, 2022, 7:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '99 Express 1500 Spare Tire Hanger Replacement

The challenge I'm having is that someone completely removed the spare tire hanger under the back and I can't find a replacement.

I ordered what should of been the right one, but it showed up with a round shaft on the crank, which doesn't fit the square ends on the spare tire kits.

No one I've found so far has any info on a working replacement. Anyone have a suggestion on what to get to replace my missing one?
Old January 31st, 2022, 7:58 AM
CF Monarch

Received 363 Likes on 344 Posts

Welcome from Florida. You can try a junk yard and look for one with the correct end. You can get a crank with the round end to match the hanger you have. A third option is that you can modify your crank to fit the new hanger.
Old January 31st, 2022, 10:53 AM
CF Active Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I just went to the junk yard and switched to a back door mount. Use Lock nuts tight on other nuts to prevent theft. Just have to carry 2 wrenches
Old January 31st, 2022, 6:16 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 105 Likes on 92 Posts

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...856&pt=1000560

This came up for a 2015 2500
Old February 1st, 2022, 3:32 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

Rear door mount tire carriers for the 96-up vans are not particularly common - I have never seen one; because of the under-floor location there's no need for upfitters to move them like on previous generations.

The laziest answer is just get whatever crank fits the unit you have.

Well, the laziest answer is chuck the spare in the back and live with it. I have seen a bolt to the floor inside tire carrier but only a couple of times in vans outfitted with several rows of bench seats.

OP doesn't mention where he is, but if he's in the salt belt a junkyard one is a non-starter. Both mine were un-usable and even the spare that came under the one is complete junk, the rim is rotted out.
Old February 1st, 2022, 3:30 PM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ray caldwell
I just went to the junk yard and switched to a back door mount. Use Lock nuts tight on other nuts to prevent theft. Just have to carry 2 wrenches
I'd like to see a image, I've sean home made door carriers not a gm.
I've actuelly thought of making a roadtech style tire carrrier a tube welded to the side of trailer hitchwhere hitch can still be used.

the express van and the 97x have jammed up tire holders, GM came up w/ a great idea to save space but **** poor quality of parts.if you do stow inside secure it w/ a seat belt don't just lay it in the back.
Old February 3rd, 2022, 4:33 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

Ray is thinking of 1995 and back vans. The factory stow spot for those is inside the right door, so conversions moved them to a carrier on the back to use the interior space. The Express style vans the tire is mounted like pickups, under the rear floor. I have never seen an Express van with an outside rear tire carrier. There's not even an easy way to mount one, where the older one attaches to the hinges on one side and bolts to the door lip on the other. The doors and latches are so cheap and flimsy I'd be afraid the extra weight of a tire would break them that much sooner.

I think if I had to fix one, I would look at mounting a plate under there with a couple of wheel studs on a lowered platform, and just use some chrome lugnuts that cover the entire stud to bolt the wheel in place, the same way one would go on a rear carrier. Probably take a decent fab guy a couple hours to make something up.
Old February 3rd, 2022, 7:38 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 92 Likes on 83 Posts

Unfortunately, a lot of folks don't think about that spare tire until it is needed and then if ignored long enough and in the salt belt, appears like it came from a junk pile.

That should be a routine maintenance item.
Lower the wheel, lube the assy, check the air pressure and make sure it is as clean as possible so it can be easily removed if necessary.
Some salvage yards have a communication tie in with many others and may be able to locate what you need., check around.
Old February 3rd, 2022, 9:55 AM
CF Active Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by William Kisselstein
Ray is thinking of 1995 and back vans. The factory stow spot for those is inside the right door, so conversions moved them to a carrier on the back to use the interior space. The Express style vans the tire is mounted like pickups, under the rear floor. I have never seen an Express van with an outside rear tire carrier. There's not even an easy way to mount one, where the older one attaches to the hinges on one side and bolts to the door lip on the other. The doors and latches are so cheap and flimsy I'd be afraid the extra weight of a tire would break them that much sooner.

I think if I had to fix one, I would look at mounting a plate under there with a couple of wheel studs on a lowered platform, and just use some chrome lugnuts that cover the entire stud to bolt the wheel in place, the same way one would go on a rear carrier. Probably take a decent fab guy a couple hours to make something up.
​​​​​
I think you may be right on my memory lapse. On my 07 I think I put a cover over the tire and uses a ratchet strap to hold it against the wall behind the wheel well. Had the 30 gal tank and I don't remember a mount. Besides,I wanted the ground clearance

Old February 3rd, 2022, 11:08 AM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I picked one of these up at the junk yard (if I remember correctly it came off a newer small jeep liberty), years ago, never got around to installing it on the door.

at time of removal wasn't able to remove the backing plates they where glued in w/ extra strong glue.

plus I was planning a thicker more sturdie back plate.

Ray caldwell why did you paint over your lights?or is that tape that is peeled off after paint?

Last edited by the Brain; February 3rd, 2022 at 11:14 AM.