Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

adding cruise control to 05 van

Search this Thread

Old March 14th, 2018, 10:17 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default adding cruise control to 05 van

i already got the cruise control stalk, just not sure what module and wiring harness i would need to convert this to work
as of lately im doing good 8 hours or so every time im in the van, so i really could use this..

any info is appreciated, as well as part numbers
Old March 14th, 2018, 6:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

It'd be easier if we knew what exact size van, and what motor. I'm not familiar with this exactly, but even if it only takes the control module and cable, it won't be cheap. Rock Auto has the module (no cable) for $443.79.
Old March 14th, 2018, 8:48 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

is the van drive by wire or does it use a throttle cable?
Old March 15th, 2018, 8:11 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

From the parts diagram, cable.
Old March 15th, 2018, 8:23 AM
Super Moderator

cable system for my 2000 p/u.
went to picknpull for parts:
- stock/multifunction switch
-stepper motor and cable
Installed the steppper motor on to the firewall and switch to the steering column. the wiring connectors were present on my vehicle. Once it was plugged in, the vehicle recognized everything; no programming required. brake switch input and cluster indicators all worked.
Old March 15th, 2018, 9:41 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe drive by wire started in '07. I installed cruise in my '06, I don't remember step by step since it has been 7 years or so but here are the major points,.

I bought a new column switch and installed that first. Then I went to a junk yard and grabbed everything else. I grabbed the servo from under the hood, and then the worst part was getting the harness. If I recall there are about 7 or 8 wires, and about half go in to the cab, other half go to the fuse box under the hood. It took me a couple hours to collect everything from the junk yard, and about an hour to hook it all up.

I found the harness and followed each wire back to their respective connector. I then cut each wire NOT related to the cruise and left the cruise wires with the connector and brought it all home. I did this for a couple reasons, easier to figure out which wire goes to which connector, also I could use a pick and remove the wire terminal and re-install it in to the connectors on my van. Then the last 3 or 4 wires go in to the cab. One wire is spliced in to the wires running along the floor, and the last couple go to the fuse box. It did work immediately after that, I didn't have to program the ecu or anything like that.

Old March 15th, 2018, 8:26 PM
Super Moderator

now that i think about it...if it has drive by wire...cruise is all part of the drive by wire build.