Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Adding a Rear Sway Bar (3500 Extended Length)

Search this Thread

Old August 24th, 2019, 5:02 PM
CF Active Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

It looks like the generator is easy to move back. I'll just have to drill some holes in the frame it's hanging from.

I own at least 5 measuring tapes but they all went into hiding this morning...

Old September 26th, 2019, 11:05 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cjm1973
Unless you're intentionally driving over extremely uneven surfaces, I see a 2 wheel drive van as a perfect application. I crawled over a 6 inch curb this morning and all 4 wheels stayed planted. I have a longer 400 mile camping trip coming up and will test highway speeds with my pull behind. If stability is your objective, don't even think twice about it. It's a huge improvement.
Did you take your 400 mile camping trip yet? If so, do you still recommend the sway bar? My wife hates the way the van feels in the backend even unloaded. It has gotten to the point that she does not even want to drive it, especially on the freeway. I was hoping to sell her old vehicle, a Sequoia, but she is now driving it again and van is just sitting and collecting dust. I now have 5 vehicles registered and insured and less than half being driven and that frustrates me to no end. Honestly, I am seriously considering selling the van at this point.
Old September 26th, 2019, 2:32 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pile0g00
Did you take your 400 mile camping trip yet? If so, do you still recommend the sway bar? My wife hates the way the van feels in the backend even unloaded. It has gotten to the point that she does not even want to drive it, especially on the freeway. I was hoping to sell her old vehicle, a Sequoia, but she is now driving it again and van is just sitting and collecting dust. I now have 5 vehicles registered and insured and less than half being driven and that frustrates me to no end. Honestly, I am seriously considering selling the van at this point.
Big improvement. That "loose" feeling is gone when abruptly changing lanes for example, or when the the turns are a bit tight. Trailering is also improved as the van's rear end feels planted at highway speeds. Well worth the money. Just don't expect it to ride on rails. It is still a 1 ton van. It won't be as nimble as any minivan just do to its sheer size. But the van is now about as good as I can expect for a nearly 3.5 ton vehicle. The ride is more forgiving than my Ram 2500 that I'm selling.
Old September 26th, 2019, 2:44 PM
CF Junior Member

Thanks for the reply. I will give the sway bar a try before I give up. I will leave it parked for a couple of months while I finish my basement and then I am going to add the sway bar and take it in for a four-wheel alignment and if she still won't drive it I will get rid of it.
Old September 26th, 2019, 10:18 PM
CF Active Member

You should take your shocks off and give them a check-up. I'm at 100k miles and due for a 2nd set (mine came with Billsteins from the conversion shop).

I have relocated my generator back 3-1/4", changed the differential fluid, and am going to be putting the sway bar on in a couple weeks.

Old September 27th, 2019, 11:20 PM
CF Junior Member

Thanks SteveROntario, I have checked my shocks. I purchased my van used and the shocks appear to be aftermarket and the are working. The sticker has worn/fallen off, so I can't tell the brand. I might still change them, just to see if the ones recommended on here help. I plan on adding the rear sway bar and also having a four wheel alignment done. It will probably be a few months until I get that all done because I have other project higher on my list, but I will report back when it is done.
Old October 5th, 2019, 7:50 PM
CF Active Member

Things are coming along, I am at the point where I need to drill the frame rails for the links. The instructions don't really discuss geometry or location of the end link mounts but it seems that the sway bar is supposed to be parallel with the ground?
https://www.hellwigproducts.com/wp-c.../135007635.pdf

The photos show the end link mounts sort of half way between the access hole to the front and a step in the sheet metal to the rear. My angles seem pretty messed up when I do that. Has anybody else crossed this bridge? I'm thinking of going with the location in the instructions even though the angles are wrong...the assumption is that all vans will eventually sag and end up with the same problem as they age? I had contacted Hellwig about doing a lift in the future and they said they have lots of options for longer links, however, the links in this kit are the shortest ones that they make so I can't fix this issue without replacing the springs.
Old October 7th, 2019, 7:37 AM
CF Active Member

All done:

The following users liked this post:
pile0g00 (October 8th, 2019)
Old October 8th, 2019, 6:17 PM
CF Junior Member

Thanks for the video SteveROntario, so what did you think about the ride after the sway bar was installed?
Old October 8th, 2019, 6:43 PM
CF Active Member

I haven't driven the van more than 5 feet so far. I am hoping we can get out on an excursion this weekend but like I said in the video my shocks are not performing like I remember them performing. Hellwig also makes a heavy bar for the front to replace the stock part.
The following users liked this post:
pile0g00 (October 8th, 2019)

Quick Reply: Adding a Rear Sway Bar (3500 Extended Length)