Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Adding a Tow Hitch

Search this Thread

Old February 21st, 2015, 12:02 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Ok, So I finally just got my hitch mounted. I am disappointed with CURT. I think the hitch is a good design, I like it however they obviously never tested what they are selling. All 8 frame holes on my Savana are 1/2". All 6 holes on the CURT hitch are 1/2". However, CURT supplies and instructs you to use four 1/2" (3/4 head) bolts on the rear four holes and two 9/16" (7/8") head on the forward two holes.

See the problem?

I could have just found two more smaller carriage bolts, but then that would actually have been a problem as you still need a special plate for those bolts. Then, the real concern... they specify 7/8" bolts on the forward holes for a reason. I imagine this is all certified, the hitch is rated right? So if you use smaller bolts and you have a problem hauling a 7000lb trailer, you are legally screwed. Not CURT, the supplier. Safety and legal responsibility was my main concern.

I had to bother a friend to use his machine shop to widen the hitch holes to accept a 9/16" bolt, and I had to drill the two forward holes on the frame larger, from 1/2" to 9/16". I don't fault CURT at all for having to drill GM's frame, that's actually easy, but having to drill out their own hitch to use the very bolts they supply is bad. Without a machine shop I would have had a hell of a time. And now for me, my shiny new hitch is all scratched up from being installed, reinstalled, reinstalled again and all the manhandling. Disappointing.

But it's now in and that makes me happy. Just wanted to share the experience for others.
Old March 7th, 2015, 12:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently purchased the curt tow hitch with the harness that connects to the tail light harness, but seems like the van is already wired and has a plug that is in the back bumper. Does anyone know where I can get the harness that connects to that one into the 4 pin?

Last edited by Bmarques; March 7th, 2015 at 12:39 PM.
Old March 7th, 2015, 12:38 PM
CF Beginner

Pic of plug
Attached Thumbnails Adding a Tow Hitch-image.jpg  
Old March 7th, 2015, 1:49 PM
CF Pro Member

Originally Posted by Bmarques
I recently purchased the curt tow hitch with the harness that connects to the tail light harness, but seems like the van is already wired and has a plug that is in the back bumper. Does anyone know where I can get the harness that connects to that one into the 4 pin?
I would try Etrailer, Ebay and the dealership if all else failed. Is that plug on the very rear of the left frame rail? I'm going to look again to see if I don't have it, but I am sure I don't and in the back of my mind I know I don't. I was just looking at my van trying to work up the initiative to begin the wiring today. Now the weather is ok and I have the time, I don't have the drive for it.
Old March 7th, 2015, 2:21 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by dberladyn
I would try Etrailer, Ebay and the dealership if all else failed. Is that plug on the very rear of the left frame rail? I'm going to look again to see if I don't have it, but I am sure I don't and in the back of my mind I know I don't. I was just looking at my van trying to work up the initiative to begin the wiring today. Now the weather is ok and I have the time, I don't have the drive for it.
Yes I believe so. Is that not for the lights? I tried dealer and they were no help. These people need part numbers for everything.
Old March 7th, 2015, 2:36 PM
CF Pro Member

That's not for a trailer harness. That plug is for the Parking Sensors on the rear bumper. I have that option. Here you can see the six conductor harness that plugs into it, it routes to each sensor on the bumper.

Back to plan one for you.
Attached Thumbnails Adding a Tow Hitch-dsc_0093%5B1%5D.jpg  
Old March 7th, 2015, 3:01 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by dberladyn
That's not for a trailer harness. That plug is for the Parking Sensors on the rear bumper. I have that option. Here you can see the six conductor harness that plugs into it, it routes to each sensor on the bumper.

Back to plan one for you.
Thanks
Old March 13th, 2015, 7:23 AM
CF Beginner

I just installed a curt hitch on my 04 express and it was a perfect fit.
Old March 13th, 2015, 7:56 AM
CF Pro Member

Originally Posted by Jim_Rockford
I just installed a curt hitch on my 04 express and it was a perfect fit.
Was it the Curt Class 5 XD Trailer Hitch 15320?
Old March 14th, 2015, 5:48 AM
CF Beginner

No mine was a CURT® 13040 - Class 3 Exposed Black Trailer Hitch with Receiver Opening (6000/600 Weight Capacity) I can go 10,000 with a w/d hitch so I didn't need anything larger.

Quick Reply: Adding a Tow Hitch