Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

ALDLDroid and 1320 Electronics - Like Torque for OBD1

Search this Thread

Old August 5th, 2019, 5:27 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default ALDLDroid and 1320 Electronics - Like Torque for OBD1

Hi all,

I didn't see any other threads on this so thought i'd start one in case anybody is looking for a solution. I love the Torque app for my newer cars that use the OBDII system. Problem is, it wont work on pre 96 or cars with the Assembly Line Data Link port or ALDL.

I wanted an app that would tap into the vans computer not only for diagnostics but also a digital tach. There are some key differences though:

1. The market is smaller for this and you will not find an ELM 327 for $2.99 for your pre 96. The good news there is an great company called 1320 Electronics LLC

American made, probably a husband and wife operation, great customer support. I bought the Bluetooth version and hard wired it into the fuse box. The owners name is John and he also wrote an app that you can use to read realtime data.

2. You need to load your own ADX file. This is the file that tells the computer the parameters it needs. It's not like Torque where the app has all the cars loaded in and you just plug it in.

The good news is tell John at 1320 electronics what you have and he probably has a file he can send you. He sent me one for my 95 gmc with 5.7.

3. Only works with an Android. I found a friend with an old phone in a drawer waiting to recycle it. Repurposed it to an electronic gauge set!

4. If you want it for realtime gauges, you can download ALDLdroid.com This is the one that gives you the dashboard.

I mounted mine near the analog gauges. You can see I'm rolling down the highway at 1800 rpms, doing 61 mph with the 4L60e in 4th gear and the torque converter locked up. I switched the thermostat to a 180 Stant Superstat and its fully opened and reading 186.6 F. and finally I'm reading voltage off of the fuel pump. My thinking here is if that's showing charging voltage, the alternator and the fuel pump are working. You can read it direct from the battery but its the same so why not pick the fuel pump...

This shows the ALDLdroid app

Close up of ALDLdroid. It is fully customizable and you can pick from a long list of sensors and arrange them how you want and what size you want.

This is the app that comes with your 1320 Electronics adapter. Great for diagnostics and to see if everything is working before you buy ALDLdroid for your dashboard if thats what you want.

Hope this helps someone.

John

Last edited by johnt365; August 5th, 2019 at 7:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
dberladyn (August 5th, 2019)
Old August 5th, 2019, 6:15 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Good Picture.
I have not seen that dash in a long time !

Thanks for posting this. I have had three of those devices. One was Chinese junk from several years ago and the other two are good quality.

• OBDII Link MX - Bluetooth (on loan and I want this back)
  • OBDII Link SX - USB Cable
Both seem to work well with reputable Android or Windows Devices.

I do not like the Torque App personally. Maybe it's too involved to set up the way I would want.
The primary use for me is to Check Engine Codes. The newer trucks display a Tachometer.

I should have never have sold this.

Last edited by dberladyn; August 5th, 2019 at 6:40 PM.
Old August 5th, 2019, 6:27 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with you on checking trouble codes.

On a pre 96, you still have the read the "Blink codes". I thought these might pull the codes but they don't. They are good for reading all the data related to the code though.

Another thing I found out recently is on a pre 96 OBD1, not all trouble codes will set the check engine light! This really caused me some confusion on a project because I did not have a check engine light but the torque converter was not locking up. I could not figure it out, then I checked the codes and it actually pointed to a failed torque converter pulse width modulation solenoid.
The following users liked this post:
dberladyn (August 5th, 2019)