Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Alternator & Charging 2 Batteries

Search this Thread

Old November 25th, 2020, 3:13 AM
CF Active Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Actually it was real easy at AutoZone for me. Alternator went out in small TX town and they didn't have what was in their book for my g20. Soooo,I asked what they had for the same year pickup truck. Picked the high amp (130?) They had and walked it out to van to compare fit and pigtail. Both were the same. So easy! It quit on me and was replaced with no questions couple years later. Much more convenient than overthinking
Old November 25th, 2020, 12:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 272 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by ray caldwell
Actually it was real easy at AutoZone for me. Alternator went out in small TX town and they didn't have what was in their book for my g20. Soooo,I asked what they had for the same year pickup truck. Picked the high amp (130?) They had and walked it out to van to compare fit and pigtail. Both were the same. So easy! It quit on me and was replaced with no questions couple years later. Much more convenient than overthinking
That’s great that you were able to find a replacement in that way, but this is hardly about overthinking - quite the opposite IMO.

The issue for me is working at a shop that primarily only stocks basic items such as filters, bulbs, wiper blades, bolts and other hardware. We don’t stock larger parts because we service such a wide variety of vehicles that it would skyrocket our overhead cost to keep such parts on hand.

So, anything outside basic items we have to order, and on many of the trucks we service, any label that would identify the alternator is usually gone. The RPO sticker (if it’s present and readable, which isn’t usually the case) provides the code for the alternator, but then I’ve got to take the time to look it up which depends on how quickly the wifi wants to work that day.

Additionally, when ordering parts from our supplier website, one piece of info used to find the correct serpentine belt is the alternator rating, so being able to identify the alternator by the spacer stack is extremely helpful to me.
Old November 25th, 2020, 4:04 PM
CF Active Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Gumby22
That’s great that you were able to find a replacement in that way, but this is hardly about overthinking - quite the opposite IMO.

The issue for me is working at a shop that primarily only stocks basic items such as filters, bulbs, wiper blades, bolts and other hardware. We don’t stock larger parts because we service such a wide variety of vehicles that it would skyrocket our overhead cost to keep such parts on hand.

So, anything outside basic items we have to order, and on many of the trucks we service, any label that would identify the alternator is usually gone. The RPO sticker (if it’s present and readable, which isn’t usually the case) provides the code for the alternator, but then I’ve got to take the time to look it up which depends on how quickly the wifi wants to work that day.

Additionally, when ordering parts from our supplier website, one piece of info used to find the correct serpentine belt is the alternator rating, so being able to identify the alternator by the spacer stack is extremely helpful to me.
Ahhh,sorry. Identify is the key word there. I viewed it as a owner problem. In that case I usually modify if a part is worth the trouble. Especially with all the transition parts gm used. One wire is my next problem. Just now getting over pulley headache