Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Battery not recharging

Search this Thread

Old November 17th, 2015, 8:22 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Battery not recharging

Need a bit of help on this one... 2013 van so everything is still fairly new. Accidently left the van with the nav unit plugged into the aux outlet.. sat for 2 weeks and totally drained the battery.

Put a trickle charger on it for 24hrs.. nothing. Hooked up another battery via jumper cables but not enough juice to start. (connection not very good on those tiny side terminals.)

Could the long gradual drain killed the battery to the point it will not recharge? I hooked up a different battery charger tonight and will check in the morning.. but Im not expecting any change.

Probably still under warranty but don't want to have it towed in for a dead battery. Any thoughts appreciated.
Old November 18th, 2015, 12:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You won't need a tow. If it won't start after the overnight charge then take the battery to a shop to have it load tested....and buy a new one if its no good...
Old November 18th, 2015, 4:32 PM
CF Senior Member

Took the battery out of the van, left it on charger again. Was thinking that something in van was causing a draw on the battery. My tester shows 11.7 volts, but can't do a load test. So if the battery charger doesn't read fully charged in the AM, Ill get it load tested tomorrow.
Would think an AC/Delco battery would last longer than 3 years. I wonder if the parts dept at the dealer would warranty this.
Old November 18th, 2015, 10:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like its fried. Should be 12 volts...not less. I bet it froths at the mouth on the shop tester they use now.....
Old November 19th, 2015, 7:42 PM
CF Senior Member

Well I was shocked. Although the charger didn't read fully charged, it charged! The van started right up. Tester read 12.4 volts with engine off. Left the trickle charger on it again tonight.. and see if it reads fully charged in the morning. May not be out of the woods, but fortunately I don't need the van for another week so Ill see what happens.

Called the dealer and the battery is under warranty ($145 for new). But to be under warranty the van has to be there for proper diagnosis. They would cover the tow if its a warranty repair.

My theory is the battery was %100 discharged. The Nav unit uses such a small amount of power, over 2 weeks it drained every last bit of juice out of it. The trickle charge just took forever to bring it back.

edit..Ok I learned how to do a load test using the tester.. will do that in the AM.. If it fails that test, off to the dealer.

Last edited by greenfire; November 19th, 2015 at 8:15 PM.
Old November 22nd, 2015, 10:17 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I had the same problem in my 2014 roughly two weeks ago. I couldn't figure what it was, I wasn't in the state to. Now I look back though. My radio is still temporarily hooked up, if left on it draws power continuously. All I did was make many short trips. Battery never charged through the alternator. I had to disconnect the positive and leave a charger on the truck for a day. All good now.

A battery is truly only meant to give you a start, not to drain continuously with the engine in the off position. I'm sure you figured it all out.
Old November 22nd, 2015, 11:08 AM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by dberladyn
I had the same problem in my 2014 roughly two weeks ago. I couldn't figure what it was, I wasn't in the state to. Now I look back though. My radio is still temporarily hooked up, if left on it draws power continuously. All I did was make many short trips. Battery never charged through the alternator. I had to disconnect the positive and leave a charger on the truck for a day. All good now.

A battery is truly only meant to give you a start, not to drain continuously with the engine in the off position. I'm sure you figured it all out.
Thanks for that,.. sensitive these new trucks are. Yeah once I disconnected the battery it charged fine. 48 hours on a slow trickle charge did it. I have other equipment wired into the van, and when I have time, I'm going to figure what what else is possibly causing a draw.