Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Brake pad specifications?

Search this Thread

Old April 17th, 2017, 11:41 AM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Brake pad specifications?

I do not see a specification in the service manual for brake pads.
Is there a specification for the pads I just have not found in the service manual?

I have found ACDelco to be the OEM for some other parts.
In this case I am looking to replace the rear brake pads.
There are three sets of ACDelco rear brake pads for my van through the Advanced Auto site and more on the ACDelco site.

I understand brake pads have different characteristics. The obvious one is how they wear.
Personally I prefer to replace pads and not rotors.

Any recommendations on:
- brake pad manufacturer(s)?
- brake pad fabrication and wear?
-- Semi Metallic Brake Pads
-- Non-Asbestos Organic
-- Low-Metallic NAO
-- Ceramic Brake Pads
-- Other?
-----------------------------------
2003 Chevrolet Express 3500 Cargo Van; LQ4 6.0L V8
Old April 17th, 2017, 1:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You can use either semi metallic or ceramic. Ceramic makes way less dust so your wheels will stay cleaner. Ceramic pads fade under heat a little sooner, but under most conditions you will never notice it. Maybe pulling a trailer down mountain pass, but you should be gearing down anyway.
As for brand Dont be fooled. OE and the top brands are hardly different, and I make my choice on price or best value. Not brand
I use ceramic pads on my 2013.
The three sets on your list may be ceramic, metallic, and organic, or there may be a larger set for 1 ton etc.
On the older vans with drums, there were 2 drum depths, and 2 drum widths to confuse things.
Old April 17th, 2017, 8:47 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

agree with that
if i was working the brakes hard or towing i would go semi metallic to reduce brake fade but they have a harder pedal feel and may be noisier than organic linings.
Some people prefer organic pads as they have a nice pedal feel and are quiet but fade more when worked hard.
I have never used ceramic so can't comment on them. I'm not opposed to them, just haven't tried them.
I usually buy cheaper pads, give them a burnish and never have problems. Make sure your rotors surfaces are rust and pit free or they will score up the new pads.