Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Bypass for passenger airbag?

Search this Thread

Old October 18th, 2022, 4:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bypass for passenger airbag?

I have a 2012 Express and use it for work. I removed the passenger seat for extra storage. I have to put the seat back in every year for inspection because the airbag is no longer connected. Is there a bypass connection I can buy and install? Seems like lots of folks use these Van's for work/commercial purposes, so it seems there should be. Thanks
Old October 18th, 2022, 8:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 677 Likes on 613 Posts

it's not an airbag. It's a seatbelt pre-tensioner. A small tube shaped device. You could probably just take if off the seat and leave it connected.
Old October 18th, 2022, 11:58 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

There must be a bypass of some sort because there are bus bodied vehicles with a van cab and they have no front right seat.
Old October 19th, 2022, 1:13 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by William Kisselstein
There must be a bypass of some sort because there are bus bodied vehicles with a van cab and they have no front right seat.
that would have been programmed into the computer from the factory
Old October 19th, 2022, 5:43 AM
CF Pro Member

Well, no, because that's not how it works. The bus is built by an aftermarket upfitter much like a conversion van or ambulance or what have you. GM doesn't alter the wiring for these people.

New York in particular has bought a mini-bus converted from a full short wheelbase van body which gets a new top and rear wall and requires a filler panel where the side doors were. The right door is retained but a bus type opening mechanism is added. I don't doubt they were delivered to the bus company with two seats. If you pull up the mat and the plywood, you can bolt one right back into it. A little more adding parts and you can make the door work like normal, too.
Old October 19th, 2022, 7:52 AM
Super Moderator

they have custom packages for everything
https://www.gmfleet.com/vehicles/upf...bulance-rescue

https://www.gmupfitter.com/wp-conten...OX-21Jan16.pdf
Page 5:

RPO AJ3
AIRBAG - frontal, driver-side only (deletes passenger-side).... NOTE: Passenger seat is removed when ordered.

Last edited by mountainmanjoe; October 19th, 2022 at 7:54 AM.
Old October 19th, 2022, 8:01 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
it's not an airbag. It's a seatbelt pre-tensioner. A small tube shaped device. You could probably just take if off the seat and leave it connected.
Oh yeah, and there's a passenger presence sensor in the seat as well which would also have to be plugged in or defeated.
Old October 19th, 2022, 2:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
Well, yes, I should have included seatbelt pre-tensioner. The icon on the dash that lights up actually shows both the seatbelt and airbag, so technically I think it's both. I have looked at removing the connector on the seat, but it looked like it might damage it.....
Old October 20th, 2022, 3:26 AM
CF Pro Member

The number one thing I see on these vans is GM was cheap. So cheap they all use the same wiring harness even when not equipped with rear speakers, or cruise control. About the only component not always present is the additional wiring for power windows and locks. If they can just add a 3 cent plug to prevent a warning light, rather than have to hook up and tune an alternate PCM, I would expect that's just what they'd do.
Old October 20th, 2022, 7:54 AM
Super Moderator

Software options are essentially zero cost. You don't need alternate modules. Any control module can be programmed with any options.
It's not just about warning lights. It's about the SRS system recording what's actually there for liability reasons.

Last edited by mountainmanjoe; October 20th, 2022 at 8:06 AM.

Quick Reply: Bypass for passenger airbag?