Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

A/C Block Off Kit -- Which one fits a '98 3500?

Search this Thread

Old July 30th, 2019, 12:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question A/C Block Off Kit -- Which one fits a '98 3500?

Hey all,

I have a 1998 Chevy Express 3500 7.4L that I converted to a camper van. The previous owner removed the rear A/C which has never been a problem until recently.. I moved to the desert and it's 110F on a good day!

I found these rear A/C block-off kits but there are two varieties and I'm not sure which one will work with mine.

1 - https://www.autocoolingsolutions.com...-block-off-kit
2 - https://www.autocoolingsolutions.com...-off-kit-17055

Does anyone know which one works for my van? Or at least where exactly to look to find out why?

Old July 30th, 2019, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 677 Likes on 613 Posts

Welcome. Sorry I can't answer your question, but I like your wheels. What are they?
Old July 30th, 2019, 2:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I'd say to do what Autocoolingsolutions says to do and look to see which fitting works for your van. But it sounds to me like you need to find the equipment to get rear A/C back in there.
Old July 30th, 2019, 2:25 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by StanVan
I'd say to do what Autocoolingsolutions says to do and look to see which fitting works for your van. But it sounds to me like you need to find the equipment to get rear A/C back in there.
They say to check which will work-- but I don't know exactly what I'm looking for. Was hoping someone here would know the difference between the lines.

I don't want rear A/C, hence the block off. The entire rear of the van has been stripped and built into a camper.
Old July 30th, 2019, 2:30 PM
CF Veteran

Find where the lines left the engine compartment. It will help to find out how much the P/O took out. I don't know for sure, but I believe the 17055 kit goes where the rear lines split off from the mains.
Old July 30th, 2019, 2:41 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by StanVan
Find where the lines left the engine compartment. It will help to find out how much the P/O took out. I don't know for sure, but I believe the 17055 kit goes where the rear lines split off from the mains.
Sorry I should have specified. The previous owner took out the rear equipement that normally sits inside of the vehicle (radiator?/expansion valve/etc) where 2 heater tubes & 2 a/c tubes went to.

I want to block off the A/C lines somewhere closer to the front of the vehicle so there's no wasted freon.
Old July 30th, 2019, 4:05 PM
CF Veteran

It only makes sense to do it at the front. Block off kits have been around for a long time, he may have done it, and you may just have something else going on. I'd hate to think about the system if it's been left open for that long.

We'd like to see what you've done in the way of your camper. A few of us have built our own, and we'd like to see some of your ideas.