Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

A/C blows hot when idling

Search this Thread

Old June 24th, 2022, 8:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C blows hot when idling

Hey guys,

I'm a newbie to the Chevy forums. I have a 2017 2500 Express van that blows hot when at an idle. It only does this when it's borderline hot outside. If I'm at highway speeds it eventually starts blowing cold and will freeze you but when I stop and allow it to idle it'll start blowing hot within minutes. Like I said, it only does this when it's hot outside but if the weather is warm (not hot) this issue doesn't occur. I can hear and feel the compressor clutch kick in when I first turn it on but when it's hot I can't feel or hear anything, other than me crying about it. I had a guy put gauges on it and he said everything is where it should be. He suggested that the relay is possibly overheating and won't allow the compressor to turn on. What else can I look at?
Old June 25th, 2022, 1:27 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by RobbyMartin
Hey guys,

I'm a newbie to the Chevy forums. I have a 2017 2500 Express van that blows hot when at an idle. It only does this when it's borderline hot outside. If I'm at highway speeds it eventually starts blowing cold and will freeze you but when I stop and allow it to idle it'll start blowing hot within minutes. Like I said, it only does this when it's hot outside but if the weather is warm (not hot) this issue doesn't occur. I can hear and feel the compressor clutch kick in when I first turn it on but when it's hot I can't feel or hear anything, other than me crying about it. I had a guy put gauges on it and he said everything is where it should be. He suggested that the relay is possibly overheating and won't allow the compressor to turn on. What else can I look at?
Might be the low pressure switch, even if the A/C levels are normal or the relay. Is the compressor not on when this occurs?.
Old June 25th, 2022, 5:47 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm not a huge Chevy expert but this is kind of standard. Check to see if the radiator cooling fans are working. Sounds funny but those fans also cool the AC condenser. When the vehicle stops moving the condenser overheats and can't dissipate the heat. When you start moving the airflow cools it and you eventually have AC again. This will happen faster than the engine overheating and just one faulty fan can cause it.

It's easy enough to check. If you idle it with the AC on the cooling fans should kick on after a few seconds regardless of engine temp. If they don't turn on you've found your problem. The fans themselves can fail as well as the relay that powers them.

Last edited by Derrick71; June 25th, 2022 at 5:50 AM.
The following users liked this post:
oilcanhenry (June 25th, 2022)
Old June 25th, 2022, 7:02 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
Might be the low pressure switch, even if the A/C levels are normal or the relay. Is the compressor not on when this occurs?.
No, when it blows hot the compressor is not on.
Old June 25th, 2022, 7:04 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Derrick71
I'm not a huge Chevy expert but this is kind of standard. Check to see if the radiator cooling fans are working. Sounds funny but those fans also cool the AC condenser. When the vehicle stops moving the condenser overheats and can't dissipate the heat. When you start moving the airflow cools it and you eventually have AC again. This will happen faster than the engine overheating and just one faulty fan can cause it.

It's easy enough to check. If you idle it with the AC on the cooling fans should kick on after a few seconds regardless of engine temp. If they don't turn on you've found your problem. The fans themselves can fail as well as the relay that powers them.
I'll check this out and let you know what I find.
Old June 26th, 2022, 2:54 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Another thing worth checking is the fan clutch if it has one or electric fans and make sure they kicks in.
Old June 27th, 2022, 1:14 AM
CF Monarch

No, when it blows hot the compressor is not on.
Is your magnetic clutch engaging at all?
Old June 27th, 2022, 8:56 PM
CF Beginner

So today I had the chance to check things out. When it starts blowing hot the compressor clutch is not engaging at all. Usually at highway speeds it'll kick in and begin to cool off but today was a different story. It wouldn't blow cold no matter what. The guy who checked the system with the gauges a few weeks ago showed me the compressor engaging intermittently but it wouldn't do it when the engine got hot. Today, the radiator fan was on but the nothing i could do would engage the clutch.
Old June 27th, 2022, 9:40 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

When the magnetic clutch refuse to engage what is the engine temperature gauge read ?
Even if the radiator fans kicks in... it could be a defective coolant thermostat or a defective water pump.
You must be shure the engine is not overheating.
There is a possibility that the PCM cancel your A/C if it reads correctly or incorrectly a high engine temp.
Here

The following users liked this post:
oilcanhenry (June 28th, 2022)
Old June 28th, 2022, 2:44 AM
CF Monarch

So today I had the chance to check things out. When it starts blowing hot the compressor clutch is not engaging at all. Usually at highway speeds it'll kick in and begin to cool off but today was a different story. It wouldn't blow cold no matter what. The guy who checked the system with the gauges a few weeks ago showed me the compressor engaging intermittently but it wouldn't do it when the engine got hot. Today, the radiator fan was on but the nothing i could do would engage the clutch.
I'd bypass the low pressure sensor and see if that engages the mag clutch. If it does, problem solved. If not I'd jump it at the compressor, As always wear eye protection and gloves so you don't get harmed.

When I was in junior college specializing in auto-airconditioning this chick had something blow out, like an explosion (likely allowed HP into the LP system). and her face took some shrapnel, but thankfully not an eye. Never saw her after that incident, and the teacher would not speak of it, likely fearing a lawsuit.

Quick Reply: A/C blows hot when idling