Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Can't find the Rear Main Seal

Search this Thread

Old January 20th, 2024, 8:10 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

and once i scrap the gunk and rust away I'l get the numbers above. pretty curious as to the origins of the engine.
The following users liked this post:
Triaged (January 20th, 2024)
Old January 20th, 2024, 8:53 AM
CF Veteran

Received 286 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by rickyralph
Due to more gasket issues all around I've decided to pull the engine out and go over the whole thing so I don't have to worry about installing the RMS while the trans is attached.
It would be much easier to do it that way anyhow, and with the engine out you can make sure everything is properly cleaned.
The following users liked this post:
rickyralph (January 20th, 2024)
Old January 20th, 2024, 9:05 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

i'm naturally tempted to do a full tear down with it out. It runs evenly and really sounds great but if it does have variance issues or any worn parts I probably will bring the block to a machine shop for inspection and machining if needed. pretty sure these places will fully clean too. and if things go this far i'd def paint it for protection. it has spent a decent amount of time in Maine and some of the rust, especially on the lower head bolts, is pretty scary. I'm betting i'll have to cut the bolt heads on a few and then twist the threaded parts out of the block. seeing these up close nudged me even closer to the decision to pull it out.
Old January 31st, 2024, 11:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 286 Likes on 248 Posts

You can perform compression testing prior to removal - if it has good compression, there’s little reason to be concerned about the block condition.

If the compression is low, do a leak down test to determine the cause.

Assuming good compression, while it’s out, I’d replace the timing chain and gears (if age/mileage unknown) and remove/inspect the camshaft for lobes that are wearing out.

Originally Posted by rickyralph
i'm naturally tempted to do a full tear down with it out. It runs evenly and really sounds great but if it does have variance issues or any worn parts I probably will bring the block to a machine shop for inspection and machining if needed. pretty sure these places will fully clean too. and if things go this far i'd def paint it for protection. it has spent a decent amount of time in Maine and some of the rust, especially on the lower head bolts, is pretty scary. I'm betting i'll have to cut the bolt heads on a few and then twist the threaded parts out of the block. seeing these up close nudged me even closer to the decision to pull it out.