Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Chevy 2500 express 6.0 van engine won't crank

Search this Thread

Old April 5th, 2017, 8:43 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chevy 2500 express 6.0 van engine won't crank

Hello,

I have a 2005 express van that was stolen and the ignition housing torn apart to stick a screwdriver or something in During the theft. It was cranking over but would not start when I got it back. Had it towed back to my house and after plugging the battery back in I only get one click or clunk when I try to turn the ignition. I am not a mechanic and had a mobile mechanic come out. He checked the starter (good), removed the timing chain (not snapped) and could not hand crank the engine. He thinks the engine is seized. Is there anything else that could be locking up the engine? It is odd that it was trying to turn over before I had it towed home. The only thing done was the disconnect of the battery by the towing person. I am hoping there is some safety or ignition system locking it rather than accepting the engine is hosed.
Old April 6th, 2017, 11:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Passlock?
Old April 7th, 2017, 2:15 PM
CF Active Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Your post doesn't make much sense, so please clarify some things.
If it was cranking over that means your engine is not seized. Why would it be seized after all?
I hate to generalize, but those craigslist mobile mechanics are often times people who cannot find a job anywhere else, and I would not put much trust into their diagnosis, unless you really know the person well.
Also, removing the timing chain is a major engine disassembly. It usually doesn't make sense to go that far in the engine. Are you sure he did exactly that?

canucklehead is correct, Passlock is a system that verifies that the start is attempted with THE KEY, not a screwdriver. It is basically a clever microswitch inside the ignition lock that would prevent it from starting.
If new ignition lock is installed, you will need to do the relearn.

Also, make sure your battery is charged, and load tests well.