Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Chevy G30 Sportvan Issues

Search this Thread

Old October 31st, 2019, 2:39 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Chevy G30 Sportvan Issues

I have a 1995 Chevy G30 Extended Sportvan. I have a couple of issues that I've noted and I'm wondering if they are all connected or separate things to deal with.

1. Possible Rear Differential Issue?

I was walking out to the van today and noticed that it looked as if there has been a leak in the rear. From what I've been able to find out online using Google is I think that is the rear differential. I saw a photo that looked pretty much just like mine and it was information about changing the seals & bears of the rear axle case. It its not the same I apologize as I'm not really a car guy. I have photos:

Driver's Side:

Passenger's Side:

2. I've noticed when I'm driving there is a whirling noise as driving. Seems to have a different tone depending upon the speed I drive. I read that this maybe a part of the above item but I have no idea.

3. When driving along at probably more than 45 MPH or so the van does not seem to kick into passing gear. It will kick into the first passing gear at a lower rate of speed, but when it comes to the normal speed it should kick in, it kinda revs for lack of a better term. It just does not kick into passing gear and readjust as it should.

4. After my starter issues the van sat for some time. When I started driving it this last month I noticed that the ABS brakes & parking brake lights were on and stayed that way. At first there was no problem, but then after a couple of small trips the brakes have gotten really soft at one point they failed (which was scary). I parked it after that. My thought was that since it had been sitting for awhile that it may need brake fluid. So I checked the brake fluid reservoir and it was almost full. I topped it off a little bit, but I'm kinda scared to drive it anywhere as I suspect I will have the same issue with the brakes. Would I also need to add brake fluid to the master cylinder? I did not because I did not know if that would cause a problem or not.

Any help at all you can give me would be great.

Last edited by HerzeleidMeister; October 31st, 2019 at 2:54 PM.
Old October 31st, 2019, 5:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 677 Likes on 613 Posts

It looks like a minor differential cover leak. Open the filler plug and check the level. Your manual should state what it should be (between 0 and 1cm below the fill hole depending on your model I think). If it's up full, and it's not dripping on your driveway, then don't worry and keep driving it. If it's low, then top it up, and snug up the bolts a bit more. If you leaking badly and you haven't changed it in a while or it's really contaminated, then change the fluid and gasket.

Do step one first. Could be a lot of things. There's not enough information. Is it coming from the front/rear? Effect of turning left/right? Accelerating/decelerating? All gears? All speeds?

I don't understand. What are you doing? Depressing the accelerator? So you're saying it's not down shifting and the van is actually slowing down?? What is not readjusting? Have you checked the transmission fluid?

Brake fluid level normally goes down as the pads wear down. Don't top up unless it's really low, otherwise you'll have an overflow next time you change the pads. The master cylinder is fed directly from THAT reservoir.
If your brakes failed completely then some brake component has bit the dust. A failed caliper, MC, or worn out rubber brake lines etc. A mechanic will need to diagnose your system. Since you're not a car guy, I don't recommend working on your brakes as a jumping off point.

Last edited by mountainmanjoe; October 31st, 2019 at 5:28 PM.
Old November 1st, 2019, 4:26 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
It looks like a minor differential cover leak. Open the filler plug and check the level. Your manual should state what it should be (between 0 and 1cm below the fill hole depending on your model I think). If it's up full, and it's not dripping on your driveway, then don't worry and keep driving it. If it's low, then top it up, and snug up the bolts a bit more. If you leaking badly and you haven't changed it in a while or it's really contaminated, then change the fluid and gasket.
Ok not sure where or what a filler plug is. Given the area its in I'm guessing this would be somewhere close to that housing? If so that will be something for the mechanic as I'm disabled and cannot get under the van.

Do step one first. Could be a lot of things. There's not enough information. Is it coming from the front/rear? Effect of turning left/right? Accelerating/decelerating? All gears? All speeds?
It comes from the rear. That is why I thought it might have something to do with the rear differential since the leak is there. All gears just get louder as I accelerate. As for turning I think when I turn hard to the right (I think) like to get into a parking space it will sometimes make a popping like sound, but I believe that is coming from the front.

I don't understand. What are you doing? Depressing the accelerator? So you're saying it's not down shifting and the van is actually slowing down?? What is not readjusting? Have you checked the transmission fluid?
It seems to get stuck and not want to go any faster. So I'm pressing the accelerator down but it seems to rev. Its really hard to explain.

Brake fluid level normally goes down as the pads wear down. Don't top up unless it's really low, otherwise you'll have an overflow next time you change the pads. The master cylinder is fed directly from THAT reservoir.
If your brakes failed completely then some brake component has bit the dust. A failed caliper, MC, or worn out rubber brake lines etc. A mechanic will need to diagnose your system. Since you're not a car guy, I don't recommend working on your brakes as a jumping off point.
The van had sat for 8 months, this is why I thought it maybe a fluid issue. I needed to top off other fluids and add plenty of water to the radiator.
Old November 1st, 2019, 8:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 677 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by HerzeleidMeister
Ok not sure where or what a filler plug is. Given the area its in I'm guessing this would be somewhere close to that housing?
Yes, on the housing.

It seems to get stuck and not want to go any faster. So I'm pressing the accelerator down but it seems to rev. Its really hard to explain.
Could be so many things. The van is quarter of a century old. It might be ready for the great scrap heap in the sky.

The van had sat for 8 months, this is why I thought it maybe a fluid issue. I needed to top off other fluids and add plenty of water to the radiator.

Brake fluid level does not go down in a healthy system. It doesn't matter if it's been sitting 8 months or 8 years.

It sounds like your van needs a road worthiness assessment from somebody mechanical.
Old November 5th, 2019, 10:12 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the info @mountainmanjoe