Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Clunk under or around the suspension

Search this Thread

Old November 10th, 2017, 8:32 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunk under or around the suspension

I get a clunk under the suspension when I go over bumps or small road abnormalities. I have a 2008 Express Van (15 Passenger). I have 206K miles and it started about 8K miles ago. It does not appear to be impact driving. At high speed, I rarely notice it.
Old November 10th, 2017, 11:39 AM
CF Monarch

Received 353 Likes on 334 Posts

Does it bounce a lot? Maybe your shocks are worn out and it is bottoming out causing the sound. It could also be any of the suspension parts that are worn out.
Old November 10th, 2017, 1:34 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oldchevy
Does it bounce a lot? Maybe your shocks are worn out and it is bottoming out causing the sound. It could also be any of the suspension parts that are worn out.
No, it does not bounce. It started a couple months after I had the Transmission replaced. It happens more on minor road bumps and it is definitely a "clunking" sound.
Old November 10th, 2017, 2:11 PM
CF Monarch

Received 353 Likes on 334 Posts

Possibly a broken transmission or motor mount.
Old November 10th, 2017, 6:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

upper ball joint.
Old March 18th, 2018, 2:29 AM
CF Beginner

I chased a similar problem on my 1994 G30, but only on the passenger side. It was a "chucking" sound on ripples in the road, especially under light braking.

I inspected almost every part of the front suspension; I couldn't check the lower control arm bushings because I didn't have a way to safely remove the springs. I replaced the lower ball joints and all of the steering linkage. The ball joints were "floppy", the idler arm had what I considered excessive play, the rest of the linkage was OK, but I figured I might as well replace it all (not much more $). The upper control arm bushings were tight and smooth, as were the upper ball joints.

End result? The van steered more precisely, but the noise was still there.

I now have 2 new lower control arm shaft assemblies to be installed shortly. I will report back here with the results.