Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Code 44 OBD1

Search this Thread

Old June 7th, 2014, 11:04 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Code 44 OBD1

Am getting a code 44 running lean.
95 GMC vandura g2500 with a 5.7. Has 142,000 miles and was well taken care of by past owner as he has all the service records.
New cap, rotor, plugs, wires, and air filter at 134,000
Oil and filter change at 141,000
don’t see where fuel filter has ever been changed and will change it today (I hope)

Only had the van for a week and it seems to be running great except for poor gas mileage, 10 per gallon on highway. It does take about 2 or 3 seconds to start when cranking. The temperature gauge only went up to about 135f and so I changed the thermostat. Installed 190f stat but the temperature on the gauge is only coming up to about 140f according to dash gauge.
I know the temperature gauge sensor is separate from the engine temperature sensor.
Can engine temperature sensor to computer cause it to give a code 44? I read usually low temperature will cause it to run rich.

I am going to try to find a fuel pressure gauge and check the pressure when I change the filter.
Should I go ahead and change the oxygen sensor?
Perhaps clean MAF is it has one,, a search says 95 vandura does not have a MAF sensor.?
There is a little oil seepage from the front and back of intake manifold but nothing that loks really fresh and cant hear any vacuum leaks
Any other suggestions.

Again the van seems to be running and starting great. Just bad mileage and code 44. I have to get emissions within the next 2 weeks.
Thanks Anna
Old June 7th, 2014, 10:25 PM
CF Beginner

Ok, no more check engine light.
I changed the O2 sensor. It looked like it was leaking exhaust in 3 places around the sensor above the nut, not between the sensor nut and exhaust pipe.

The next problem to work on is the engine temperature gauge. The dash gauge is reading about 140f when under a load and a little lower when sitting and idling. Changed the thermostat and coolant temperature sensor so now I think I need to change the Engine Coolant Temperature Sender as that goes directly to the gauge.
Old June 8th, 2014, 12:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would have don the o2 sensors in pairs....upstream...downstream.
Check your thermostat. Might not be opening all the way, and only showing as an issue when under load.
Old June 23rd, 2014, 9:31 PM
CF Beginner

This 95 only has one Oxygen sensor on it. It is a 3 wire, (heated I think).
No one in town seemed to have one, but, they did. There was a problem with their computers. They showed one for a 95 pu truck with a 350 but not for the vandura, it was the same part.
And yes, they showed two on their computer till they went to look for the downstream one.