Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Conversion Van seats/equipment to newer Van

Search this Thread

Old June 24th, 2021, 10:30 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Conversion Van seats/equipment to newer Van

So, I cant find the thread (I dont even recall if there was actuelly one) where a forum memeber moved all interior parts from an old conversion van to a newer one. Wife started to remind me that we were suposed to replace my beloved Van for a newer one, but conversion vans are crazy expensive. So I thought I could explore that option.
Old June 25th, 2021, 10:29 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

Most of the seats used in the conversions have holes in the bottom for several different tracks. I attempted to use a 1997 power track with a seat from a 1995 conversion in my 1994 van and was easily able to bolt it to the track, the track required two new holes in the 1994 seat base, but I had forgotten that the 95-back vans with power seats use a different seat base that is 2 or 3 inches shorter. The power track made it too high to get my legs under the steering wheel.

What this means for you is you can probably use the seats, they will bolt up, the manual seat track is identical on 97-02 seats as 91-95. However without a 6 way power base they may be somewhat lower than the stock seat.
Old June 28th, 2021, 12:41 PM
CF Active Member

Thanks, So seats are ok to use. I guess the interior gear can then be moved or customized to the newer sizes of a newer van.
Old June 29th, 2021, 5:08 AM
CF Pro Member

About all you're going to directly swap are seats and maybe lights or individual electronic components. It is possible the side windows can be swapped if you really want to strip your van.

I would borrow or rent one and drive it first. They drive well but have so many cheap plastic components, I went back to the 94 when I found a good one.
Old June 29th, 2021, 9:03 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by William Kisselstein
About all you're going to directly swap are seats and maybe lights or individual electronic components. It is possible the side windows can be swapped if you really want to strip your van.

I would borrow or rent one and drive it first. They drive well but have so many cheap plastic components, I went back to the 94 when I found a good one.
Really? even the newer ones? 2017-21? I havent driven one ye, thats good Idea.
Old June 29th, 2021, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator

Received 665 Likes on 603 Posts

Yes really.
Old July 1st, 2021, 4:41 AM
CF Pro Member

Somewhere in the mid-late 2000s they even did away with a latching glove box, most of them just have a bin that snaps into the lower dash extension on the doghouse. Which is usually broken. Door handles and surrounding area, plastic, gets brittle with age. Door latches, plastic. Trim around the windows and headliner, plastic, snaps in place. Dash face, plastic, snaps in. The older G-van has plastic there too but it screws on. Molded plastic door panels where the G is metal or upholstered. Plastic inside window crank handle that the **** won't stay in, on my 3500 with crank windows I put a 60s GM handle on out of my swap meet stuff. On vented side/rear windows, plastic latches that break. Plastic vent panel between hood and windshield. One piece plastic grille, have to replace all of it if it breaks. Plastic trim on the upper rear body. Plastic license plate insert with door handle. The bumpers are steel but they're probably half as thick as the previous vans and prone to rot.

In fact a couple weeks ago my state had a surplus auction with like 50 vans, some of them fairly low miles (50,000-75,000) and virtually every one they noted frame rot as an issue on. They ranged in age from 2000-2011 save one wrecked 2016 or so. From regular wheelbase work vans to a couple of mini-bus conversions to extended high top vans with wheelchair lifts.

Old July 1st, 2021, 8:13 AM
CF Active Member

So I have a jewel with me! I like her a lot, the thing is that the fron looks old. And it uses LOTS and LOTS of fuel. Thats all. Otherwise shes beutiful.
Old July 2nd, 2021, 5:29 AM
CF Pro Member

I think the newest ones get fairly decent fuel economy now, but the two 2002s I have had were no better than the 91 G20, that would get a steady 15 highway all day whether I drove 60, 65,70 or 75. Same size engine in both.
Old July 4th, 2021, 7:46 PM
CF Active Member

also good to know. Thanks

Quick Reply: Conversion Van seats/equipment to newer Van