Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

converting 3500 passenger van back from commercial to auto registration in CA?

Search this Thread

Old June 7th, 2017, 9:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default converting 3500 passenger van back from commercial to auto registration in CA?

Has anyone done this? I have a 15 seater van that has had all the seats removed by the previous owner. As such the DMV in CA made me register it as a commercial vehicle, but I'm finding in addition to the astronomical registration cost, the other limitations of commercial vehicle registration are going to be a major thorn in my side. I kinda want to make it a sort of camper conversion van, but don't want to go the full mobile home/RV route, just want to add a swivel seat or two in back, a hammock, and some basic track day comforts. The DMV and CHP have offered me no information whatsoever as to what exactly is required to re-register as an auto (non-commercial). Would a single swivel seat in back be enough? or what exactly *are* the requirements? Thanks!
Old June 7th, 2017, 10:36 PM
CF Active Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a 15 pass van in CA and when I went to register it only had one bench in it (5 seats total). Just throw a bench in there and go to VIN verification lane, the "body type" field should say "SV" for Sports Van or "VC" for Van Camper.