Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

The Corona Van (1998 Express Conversion Van)

Search this Thread

Old October 23rd, 2021, 3:06 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I put the new stereo in today. We went with this Pioneer unit. Making the double DIN stereo fit in the dash took some work but having a modern head unit with Android Auto and all the other features it has makes a big difference in the driving experience (IMO).

I also installed a magnetic phone cradle to the left of the steering wheel. The red switch under the stereo allows for key off use of the A/V system.

The Pioneer has a rear AUX input I used to connect to the van's TV/monitor. That input and the Pioneer's wireless remote control work well for watching movies or playing video games.

Here is a pic of the modifications I made to the dash panel. It wasn't technically difficult but it took some time to get it right...

Old October 24th, 2021, 4:44 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

2001-2002 dash faces are made for a double-DIN radio and will snap right on there.

You'd have to swap over the wood trim pieces, if they will come off without wrecking them.
Old October 24th, 2021, 7:18 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by William Kisselstein
2001-2002 dash faces are made for a double-DIN radio and will snap right on there. You'd have to swap over the wood trim pieces, if they will come off without wrecking them.
William, just a couple of days ago in response to your seat comment, I mentioned:
Originally Posted by CoronaVan
...I also talked to my brother about upgrading the (already replaced) stereo in the dash with a double DIN Android Auto / Apple Carplay compatible unit. He liked the idea and he will be sending a new unit to me soon (I am not paying for it...). I know the dash isn't sized for it but I will make it fit.
Although I likely still would have gone with trimming the existing dash, the information you shared could have been nice to know BEFORE I installed the new stereo. That info also could have helped this guy and this guy and the others who were considering installing a double-DIN radio.
Old October 24th, 2021, 3:21 PM
CF Junior Member

So, I "borrowed" a vacuum pump from AutoZone today ($200 deposit...) and vacuumed out the AC. The AC was not working before I did the motor swap and it is not holding a vacuum now. As the system is completely empty I plan to put some compressed air in the system and look/listen for leaks. Are there any prime suspects I should be looking for in an Express AC system (William??, anyone??).
Old November 2nd, 2021, 4:43 AM
CF Junior Member

It looks like I am in my final days with the Corona Van. My brother is flying down to Maryland next week and together, we will be driving the van up to New England where I will officially turn it over to him. I have really grown to appreciate the van, and I look forward to tailgating at events with both of my brothers.

The van did pop yet another CEL last week, a P0430 code (cat efficiency low bank 2). I was concerned I had a bad catalytic converter but apparently not. I tapped the converters with a rubber mallet and heard no debris clinking around inside the cats. I took the van for a ride to warm it up and then checked temps at the front and rear of each cat. I don't recall the actual temps but the rear of the cats was not cooler than the front.

I also removed the downstream O2 sensors, cleaned them up; they were pretty clogged up, especially the passenger side (bank 2). When I installed them, I swapped sides to see if the CEL reappeared as a P0420 (Cat efficiency low bank 1). I reset the CEL and added some fuel system cleaner to the fuel tank. The CEL has not reappeared and the van is running better than ever, so hopefully, the issue is solved.

Finally, I will be doing a front-end rebuild this weekend (most of it anyway), replacing the upper and lower control arms (with bushings and ball joints), along with new inner and outer tie rod ends, and sway bar links (followed by a trip to the alignment shop) I hope it all goes smoothly. I already don't want to give up the van, and once the front end is done, it will be even harder to see it go.
Old November 5th, 2021, 3:49 AM
CF Junior Member

So, I "borrowed" a vacuum pump from AutoZone today ($200 deposit...) and vacuumed out the AC. The AC was not working before I did the motor swap and it is not holding a vacuum now...
On a positive note, I found the leak and fixed it (there were no o-rings installed on the compressor). I installed some o-rings and the system now holds a vacuum. However, it looks like the compressor itself may be bad. I have another compressor, but at this point, I will probably just throw it in a box and let my brother worry about it in the spring.
Finally, I will be doing a front-end rebuild this weekend (most of it anyway), replacing the upper and lower control arms (with bushings and ball joints), along with new inner and outer tie rod ends, and sway bar links...
My front-end parts showed up a couple of days ago. I plan to get started this afternoon...

Old November 8th, 2021, 7:43 PM
CF Junior Member

I installed the new suspension/steering components this weekend. It was no fun doing the job alone and in the driveway. Nonetheless, the job went relatively smoothly, I didn't break anything.

I used this youTube video from APDTY as my reference for the upper and lower control arm replacement process.

The lower control arm bushings in particular were pretty crusty.

The lower ball joints were also way past their high time.

Here is the control arm trash heap...

I got the van aligned this morning, and I also snugged up the steering box. As you can imagine the difference in the ride and handling is dramatic. I'm glad I did it but I'm also glad it's done. It really is a sweet old van, and if I was keeping it, there would be so much more I would do. However, this Friday it will become my brother's van, and unfortunately (or fortunately??), I don't live close enough to be able to do any regular work for him.