Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

A Dissertation on G-Series 2WD Lift Kits (Front Only)

Search this Thread

Old July 31st, 2020, 9:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb A Dissertation on G-Series 2WD Lift Kits (Front Only)

So I, much like many others around Google and various forums, have been wondering what it would take to get a G-Series van lifted if it's 2WD. After searching on the topic itself repeatedly and only coming up with conflicting information and dead ends, I decided to start from square one and basically mold my own idea together.

The information I have/found:

The G-Series vans and the square body trucks (from what I've taken from Google) are very similar when it comes to their frames and suspension. It seems when '88 came along, the G's didn't get the frame update that the GMT400 trucks did (at least until after '96).

It seems at one point a few years back, some owners were finding success in using lift spindles for a 2WD C10 (square body) on their vehicles however I was unable to verify with any pictures or solid evidence. It also appears that lift spindles for the 73-87 trucks are non-existent as of today. Most likely no one manufactures them anymore.

I came across a few threads online about it, the most intriguing one was a thread where someone claimed to know someone who used the G30 upper control arms on a G10/G20 and then installed 88-91 Single Cab lift spindles on that. However later in the thread, it seems as if more fabrication was required for that lift to see fruition. Fabrication skills that I don't possess. I went ahead and discarded this idea due to that reasoning, along with the fact that I'm not sure I could trust driving across the country with a strangely fabricated control arm (especially since the spindle wouldn't be compatible with the replacement unless said part was machined for it).

But due to this hesitation, I'm also a little deterred from finding a set of GMT400 spindles and having them re-machined for the G-Series as well (which appears to have been discussed a few times). Same scenario, I'd hate to be stuck somewhere far away from home basically counting on a delivery of either a spindle or control arm to modify, especially during the Covid stuff going on.

The Idea:

So after cross referencing some part numbers, I've found that both the square body trucks and the G-Series van share the same OEM coil spring part number. ACDelco part number 45H0075 and 45H0076 (HD variant). That's just ACDelco though. But it appears that Moog and Husky have the same part number for both applications as well (cross referenced using a 1979 C10 and compared it with a 1994 G10).

Since the lift spindles are out of the question, and the part numbers match up it would be safe to assume that a lifted coil spring manufactured for a 73-87 C10 should work with the G-Series given the compatibility of OEM springs between the two.

The shocks are a different story, but I think I have a work-around. Especially for folks with smaller engines from 4.3L to 5.7L. The shocks from a C10/K10 won't work in the front, but it appears that shocks for the 454 G30 would fit the G10 and G20. This may be a strange setup but one that could pair with the lifted coil spring as well. Bonus points if you can find a "heavy duty" or adjustable shock for the front as well.

Does this seem like a reasonable experiment? I can't imagine it would go too terribly wrong. But then again, I'm also uneducated in the details like spring rates and the like.

Please feel free to comment about any experience you have with lifting a G-Series 2WD van, I'm looking forward to hearing from you!
Old July 31st, 2020, 10:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 677 Likes on 613 Posts

https://www.vanning.com/threads/ubbt...tml#Post717957
Old August 3rd, 2020, 1:24 PM
CF Active Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Rancho off road shocks for front. Tough. I got 17" wheels with 30 inch tires that gained a little over a inch. Get taller polyurethane spring seats. And of course inside coil air bags .
I got rear springs from a 1 ton square body 4x4. They are slightly (1/2in) shorter . They gave 2 inches on rear and 7 leaf springs keeps it from squatting under load
Make sure you can get a refund on control arms. Can't quote but know from bumper the SB and vans have about same frame width but have a few more inches of track width
Old February 21st, 2021, 10:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I just wanted to ask how should I go about lifting a 1992 gmc vandora 2500? Thanks

Originally Posted by BigChillVanLife
So I, much like many others around Google and various forums, have been wondering what it would take to get a G-Series van lifted if it's 2WD. After searching on the topic itself repeatedly and only coming up with conflicting information and dead ends, I decided to start from square one and basically mold my own idea together.

The information I have/found:

The G-Series vans and the square body trucks (from what I've taken from Google) are very similar when it comes to their frames and suspension. It seems when '88 came along, the G's didn't get the frame update that the GMT400 trucks did (at least until after '96).

It seems at one point a few years back, some owners were finding success in using lift spindles for a 2WD C10 (square body) on their vehicles however I was unable to verify with any pictures or solid evidence. It also appears that lift spindles for the 73-87 trucks are non-existent as of today. Most likely no one manufactures them anymore.

I came across a few threads online about it, the most intriguing one was a thread where someone claimed to know someone who used the G30 upper control arms on a G10/G20 and then installed 88-91 Single Cab lift spindles on that. However later in the thread, it seems as if more fabrication was required for that lift to see fruition. Fabrication skills that I don't possess. I went ahead and discarded this idea due to that reasoning, along with the fact that I'm not sure I could trust driving across the country with a strangely fabricated control arm (especially since the spindle wouldn't be compatible with the replacement unless said part was machined for it).

But due to this hesitation, I'm also a little deterred from finding a set of GMT400 spindles and having them re-machined for the G-Series as well (which appears to have been discussed a few times). Same scenario, I'd hate to be stuck somewhere far away from home basically counting on a delivery of either a spindle or control arm to modify, especially during the Covid stuff going on.

The Idea:

So after cross referencing some part numbers, I've found that both the square body trucks and the G-Series van share the same OEM coil spring part number. ACDelco part number 45H0075 and 45H0076 (HD variant). That's just ACDelco though. But it appears that Moog and Husky have the same part number for both applications as well (cross referenced using a 1979 C10 and compared it with a 1994 G10).

Since the lift spindles are out of the question, and the part numbers match up it would be safe to assume that a lifted coil spring manufactured for a 73-87 C10 should work with the G-Series given the compatibility of OEM springs between the two.

The shocks are a different story, but I think I have a work-around. Especially for folks with smaller engines from 4.3L to 5.7L. The shocks from a C10/K10 won't work in the front, but it appears that shocks for the 454 G30 would fit the G10 and G20. This may be a strange setup but one that could pair with the lifted coil spring as well. Bonus points if you can find a "heavy duty" or adjustable shock for the front as well.

Does this seem like a reasonable experiment? I can't imagine it would go too terribly wrong. But then again, I'm also uneducated in the details like spring rates and the like.

Please feel free to comment about any experience you have with lifting a G-Series 2WD van, I'm looking forward to hearing from you!
Okay so I have a 1992 gmc vandora 2500 and wanna find out a way to lift it I just don’t understand the G20 and G30 differences and how I would be able to lift it with different parts from G30 and c1500 just need some help understand thanks I’ll appreciate it
Old February 22nd, 2021, 10:35 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

G20 is 3/4 ton, running 5-lug wheels and a 10-bolt differential
G30 is 1 ton, running 8 lug wheels and a 14 bolt differential

The reason squarebody spindles work is the G10 and G20 use the same control arms as 73-87 half-ton pickup (Suburban to 91). So it's probably the same spindle, although Rock Auto doesn't list those.

and by the same virtue the G30 uses the same control arms as 3/4 and 1 ton pickup.

The budget way to lift a G20 in the front would be to convert to a 1-ton suspension, as they sit higher. However I don't know if this can be done and retain 5-lug wheels. You'd have to compare the spindles, bearings and so forth.

all G-vans came 2WD factory, 4x4 conversions exist but they are conversions.

Old February 3rd, 2022, 2:55 AM
CF Active Member

92 blue booger

Ok,first you need a tape measure. Lots of parts will fit but you need to take your measurements and notebook and camera to junkyard.. much cheaper this way.
Each inch of bigger tire profile is a half inch lift,up to 265/70/15 I believe. Get coil spring spreader to install polyurethane spacers on front. Really likes rancho shocks from c10 up front too. I modified a jeep steering stabilizer for it too Rear is a little harder. I used leaf springs from square body 4x4 pickup on rear. They ARE 1/2 inch shorter. Got premium gas Sachs gas shocks from need suburban for $14....
BTW,got tire carrier from custom van cheap an new chrome step bumper from GMC. Pickup on it too

Old February 3rd, 2022, 4:26 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

How did it install on the right side door? Every one I've ever seen went on the left door, so they don't block the handle.
Old February 3rd, 2022, 9:32 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by William Kisselstein
How did it install on the right side door? Every one I've ever seen went on the left door, so they don't block the handle.

Oh,that's my idea. It doesn't block the handle. The square tube type might,but I went with the round tube tire carrier cause it looked better.
No hard install, I have a dent in door I wanted to cover. I just flipped carrier upside down, mounted on hinges and drilled a 5/16 hole in the door lip.