Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

"Driver door open" message / chime keeps coming on for no reason.

Search this Thread

Old December 10th, 2018, 6:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Driver door open" message / chime keeps coming on for no reason.

Hey folks. Brand new to this forum. So the "Driver door open" message / chime keeps coming on for no reason and is driving me bonkers. Van does NOT have power locks or windows. Usually happens on the interstate and will just chime and show the message over and over....but the door is not open....and closed tight. I'm fine with just getting rid of the sensor / pulling the fuse if either of those are ways to fix it. Of course all suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

2009 Chevy Express 2500 Duramax Diesel Camper - 140K miles
Old December 10th, 2018, 7:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 664 Likes on 602 Posts

Pulling fuses and sensors won't fix anything. It has nothing to do with locks or windows. Logically the first thing to inspect is the door switch.
Old December 11th, 2018, 2:03 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Yup. Inspect the door switch. After that, my bet is that the wire is grounding somewhere. A ground to that wire will tell the computer that the door is open. It then tells you.

There are other possibilities. Do you have a OBDII module plugged in? Sometimes they confuse the computer and it does weird things. Or perhaps some wiring somewhere else is hacked and the computer is half on the fritz. If the door switch looks fine, you could try resetting the computer like people here got me to try. Disconnect the Battery and ground the Positive Lead.

Last edited by dberladyn; December 11th, 2018 at 2:07 AM.
Old December 11th, 2018, 9:10 AM
CF Beginner

OK. thanks for the reply's. Now to figure out where the door switch is. (I'm a novice).
Old December 11th, 2018, 9:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Except that won't be as easy as it sounds. The door jam switch is an integral part of the door latch/lock on the front doors of these vans. I don't know when they started this, but the 2009 has it..
Old December 11th, 2018, 9:42 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by StanVan
Except that won't be as easy as it sounds. The door jam switch is an integral part of the door latch/lock on the front doors of these vans. I don't know when they started this, but the 2009 has it..
Any suggestions on how to access this piece? I'm in the dark.
Old December 11th, 2018, 9:49 AM
CF Veteran

First, get a light.

It's an all out job. You have to remove the interior door panel. Truthfully, I've not gone in to the latch assy, so I'm not much help. I stopped at replacing the door speakers. Good luck. I wish I could be more help.
Old December 11th, 2018, 10:21 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by StanVan
First, get a light.

It's an all out job. You have to remove the interior door panel. Truthfully, I've not gone in to the latch assy, so I'm not much help. I stopped at replacing the door speakers. Good luck. I wish I could be more help.
Would you venture to guess if it is the door jamb switch which is an integral part of the latch assembly and the with is broken I will have to replace the entire assembly?
Old December 11th, 2018, 10:54 AM
CF Veteran

I'm just guessing, as I've not been into one before. But if it is at all intermittent, it may just need some adjustment. I don't even know if this is possible. The other possibilities include broken wires, or the plug coming loose. At the umbilical where the wires go from the frame into the door may be where to look for broken wires. I had wires "wear out" there on Da Wife's '05 Equinox.