Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Electrical debacle

Search this Thread

Old November 19th, 2020, 4:30 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical debacle

Hello,
I own a 1992 Chevrolet g20 (5.7tbi, 4L60e) for about a year now and it has been nothing but problems. For some reason, the transmission will not shift into 3rd and 4th, speedo stays 0, the ABS and brake light stays on, the power windows and the blower motor do not work, I've replaced the DRAC module and the VSS already but eventually the fix for most of the problems was bridging 12v to the brake fuse (neither side of the fuse gets 12V) the only problem right now is that the ABS and brake light are still on Because I plan to sell the van I want to fix this last problem.
Does anyone have an idea why the BRK fuse does not get any power and why the ABS and brake light stay on?
Thanks in advance!
Marco
Old November 25th, 2020, 3:32 AM
CF Active Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Good news and bad. You only have the 4L60. Electrical shifting started in 1993. Bad news is it's probably your 3-4th clutch pack burned out..
If you replace instead of rebuild make sure you get another 1992. Was most evolved 700R4/4L60 before they went electronic.
I put a manual torque converter lock up switch on dash and very Happy with it.
If mileage ain't a big deal,then then economy option of th400/350 trans can be used
You can get obd1 codes with paper clip and get images of proper fuse location online
Old November 25th, 2020, 3:59 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Ray,
Thank you for your response!
Nope quite sure I got the 4L60E (don't know how it got there hahaha), I've got the 18 pin connector above the passenger side pan rail, and when I remove this connector I can manually shift it to 3th. Also when I bridge 12v to the brake fuse the transmission works normally so the clutches are still right.
Too bad the obd1 does not give any codes.
I'll try to find some images with fuse locations!

Marco
Old November 25th, 2020, 4:18 PM
CF Active Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 92G20
Hi Ray,
Thank you for your response!
Nope quite sure I got the 4L60E (don't know how it got there hahaha), I've got the 18 pin connector above the passenger side pan rail, and when I remove this connector I can manually shift it to 3th. Also when I bridge 12v to the brake fuse the transmission works normally so the clutches are still right.
Too bad the obd1 does not give any codes.
I'll try to find some images with fuse locations!

Marco

Daaaang,was pretty sure of myself after all my van trouble. But, 1992 was a TRANSITIONAL year for gm. So my next big mouth suggestion would be look for info on the 1993 model. If covid has not affected it,local library should have some Chilton manuals that actually help. Pickup truck manual too- but wiring code is slightly different.
My best info has come from Google. Search something like(troubleshooting 4l60e PDF) much reading there. And hotrod magazine has lots of tech articles on these transmissions
Old December 11th, 2020, 5:48 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

The brake light comes on either if the parking brake is on or the brake pressure is low. I would start simple, with the switch on the park brake and the connection to the proportioning valve, where the trip switch is.

You'll have to look at a wiring diagram and trace the power source on the brake fuse.