Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Engine power is reduced

Search this Thread

Old August 3rd, 2019, 6:38 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine power is reduced

Can anybody point me in the right direction? Today I took out my cd/radio in my 2008 express. I had an “err” message on there after my two year old son put a toonie and a quarter in the CD slot. I took the CD player out and apart and removed the coins, but when I plugged it back in there is zero power to the radio now. And now I get a message on the dash that reads “engine power is reduced” and my van will not turn over to start now. Any suggestions on what could have caused this and how to fix?
Old August 3rd, 2019, 9:17 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I cannot see how the radio would affect the engine. Unless there was some one in a trilion billion quadrillion chance it was throwing a serial message out disguised as some other part...

Pull the Radio out.
Fix the truck.
Put Radio back in.

I only say to pull it out because obviously something else was done in the process. Is all of your radio wiring factory, or has it all been cut?

I am thinking your GMLAN has been shorted out... look at the schematic. Download a copy for your year off the GM Upfitters page and do not trust my website. That's for me and my truck.
https://dan.berladyn.online/gm/delphi-radio-us8/

Last edited by dberladyn; August 3rd, 2019 at 9:22 PM.
Old August 4th, 2019, 6:57 PM
CF Beginner

Default Code read p1682

I was able to get a code read on it and it says p1682. Upon further research I’m understanding that this is an ignition switch code. Not sure how pulling the radio out managed to do that but now I’m wondering if I need a new ignition. Still doesn’t solve why the radio won’t come back on though
Old August 4th, 2019, 7:34 PM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

How much weight is on your key ring? The pendulum of a moderate set can be enough to kill the switch on its own over time. What does the wiring behind the radio look like? Make sure everything is stripped/crimped/and sealed properly. The deck I put in and transferred around between my own and my wife's (twin deck) has circuit protection that shuts the deck down completely if it detects a short anywhere in the system. This also means vibration could have caused a short on a speaker wire (happened in the Camaro a few years back).
Old August 4th, 2019, 11:22 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mccullough88
I was able to get a code read on it and it says p1682. Upon further research I’m understanding that this is an ignition switch code. Not sure how pulling the radio out managed to do that but now I’m wondering if I need a new ignition. Still doesn’t solve why the radio won’t come back on though
You checked all of your fuses right?

I thought I had a code, but I messed up and didn't power a module when re-wiring. There is almost a fuse for every component. Of course a loose ground would give lots of headache too. I am sorry to read of your troubles because not having ignition is not a problem that any of us want. Who cares about a radio. Being able to drive is priority number one. So you are a 2008... You are the same as the rest of us, for the most part. You are a minor electrical change behind me. I honestly think you have a wire hooked up to your GM Low Speed LAN at the back of the radio. That's is messing with the BCM and the BCM is telling the rest of the truck to shut down. Pull the radio out. Remove everything added right down to factory wiring. Pay attention to a single Green wire. That is circuit 5060. If you mess up that wire, you will probably have all kinds of problems.

Last edited by dberladyn; August 4th, 2019 at 11:30 PM.
Old August 7th, 2019, 6:12 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for information, much appreciated. I’ve come to find out, and I hope this is the problem, but 3 of my relays have corrosion on them and the pin terminal has snapped off inside the fuse block. One of the relays is the power train relay, which I’m thinking was causing it to not start. A/c and fuel pump were the other two. I’m just having a hard time tracking down new relays without having to go to the dealer
The following users liked this post:
dberladyn (August 10th, 2019)
Old August 10th, 2019, 4:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 677 Likes on 613 Posts

do you have a lid on your fusebox?