Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

front sway bar bushing - fitment

Search this Thread

Old March 5th, 2019, 9:58 AM
CF Active Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default front sway bar bushing - fitment

I need to replace the front sway bar bushings and do not know what to think of material sizes.

My sway bar measures 35mm (1 3/8"+) at the bushing.
I am seeing 1 1/4 (31.75mm) and 1 5/16 (33.33mm) being advertised by different aftermarket suppliers to fit my van.
I am finding aftermarket part number cross references to the GM p#15005612.
The local chevy dealer can get the bushings and they are 36mm (which is about 3/128" over 1 3/8").

MOOG when asked has no idea why the 1 5/16 is specified and directs me to a 35mm (1 3/8"+) bushing that does not have a fitment to my van .
ACDelco has 1 5/16" and 1 1/4" referenced to my VIN. ACDelco CS has no idea what the part is on the web site but through references not on the web site says the sway bar is 36mm - note that that is not 1 5/16" (33.33mm).

The van was purchased used and I doubt the front bar was ever replaced or "upgraded" .

Is a sway bar bushing supposed to be loose around the bar or is it supposed to compress on installation?
Have you got a manufacturer p# reference to an installation you did on a 3500?

Last edited by tbb2; March 5th, 2019 at 10:12 AM.
Old March 6th, 2019, 2:56 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MY VANS ARE OLDER [G30 BUCKET VAN & 94 CUT AWAY MOTORHOME] AND UNLESS NEWER ONES ARE DIFFENT I KNOW ANY OF THOSE SHOULD WORK FINE . YOU SHOULD WANT THEM COMPRESSED FOR SURE AND THERE NOT A CLOSE TOLLERENE FIT . MINE ARE JUST A U SHAPED ''CLAMP'' WITH 2 BOLTS . JUST UNBOLT [THROW A JACK UNDER BAR] , SLIDE OFF / SLIDE ON [THERE SPLIT THRU THE MIDDLE FROUNT SIDE] AND TOURQ TO SPEC. . I BROUGHT ''LIFE'' ONES FROM A NATIONAL CHAIN , 2 WERE $4 other 2 were $9 each .Easy swap but big improvement in handling. 36mm or 33mm shouldn't matter , can't usually go wrong with moog.
Old March 7th, 2019, 8:48 AM
CF Active Member

Default front sway bar bushing - fitment

Originally Posted by cablesplicer
MY VANS ARE OLDER [G30 BUCKET VAN & 94 CUT AWAY MOTORHOME] AND UNLESS NEWER ONES ARE DIFFENT I KNOW ANY OF THOSE SHOULD WORK FINE . YOU SHOULD WANT THEM COMPRESSED FOR SURE AND THERE NOT A CLOSE TOLLERENE FIT . ...
Did you ever measure the bar or note the size of sway bar bushings used on your vehicles?
Old March 7th, 2019, 12:03 PM
CF Junior Member

No , sorry but I never did. If yours look like the photos on thread titled ''front steering'' dated Mar. 2 , 2019 there the same as mine and like I said a few mm's difference doesn't matter , just tighten to spec. [note the long bolts] and head down the road.
Old March 7th, 2019, 1:58 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by cablesplicer
If yours look like the photos on thread titled ''front steering'' dated Mar. 2 , 2019 (they're) same as mine ... [note the long bolts] ...
cablesplicer,

I had found that post.
Unfortunately, in this case, a picture is not worth a thousand words.
The bushings of different sizes look the same excepting color differences for rubber and thermoplastic.
What about the long bolts?

I have to move this repair along. So I will take a shot at after-market 33.5mm for my 35mm instead of the dealer noted 36mm.
I can't see having the sway bar sliding freely through a 36mm bushing to be a good idea.
If the after-market looks like a crazy bad (tight) fit I'll order bushings sized for the bar and forget all the "fitment" charts.
Old March 8th, 2019, 6:22 AM
CF Junior Member

The difference between 35mm and 36mm =.03937008 inch , when you tighten the long bolts to spec. it will not slide or be even loose.no matter if the bushings are 33mm or 36mm or any size in between. As far as color / materials just buy the same color that you have on there now or go with the dealer says is correct. it you plan to keep the van for many years and it's a work van , like the one in your photo , carrying good size loads of tools / parts needed [and driving it many miles] for the job you will be replacing them more then just once . I wouldn't over think it because the parts are cheep and changing them is easy. Just my opinion , do what ever ''you'' think is best . Good luck and happy motoring . My van is pushing 400,000 mi. so keep up your maintains and it will give you many years of service.