Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Front wheel bearing hub assembly change for 2006 Express 3500

Search this Thread

Old April 11th, 2017, 9:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front wheel bearing hub assembly change for 2006 Express 3500

I'm at 202K miles. I'm going to be doing new calipers, rotors and pads soon.

I'm wondering how long bearings normally last on these vans. Right now there is no noticeable noise or wobble (I'm assuming you check these like other bearings by grabbing top and bottom of tire and seeing if there is wiggle).

Good idea to preemptively change these out or just asking for trouble getting into something before it's time.

Could be doing quite a bit of travelling with it this summer and wanted to get it up as good as I can.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

NH
Old April 12th, 2017, 8:09 AM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

they are not cheap so why replace a bearing that isn't failing. If it makes you feel better go for it but you will probably be into $1000 for both front bearings.

Cheap bearing will last about 1 year and you will be doing them again.

I'm cheap so I don't change good parts until they go bad. the bearings will start to growl at speed and have play when they start to fail.
Old April 12th, 2017, 3:07 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just giving my $.02 here but replacing wheel bearings with 200k on them is not foolish and considering you will
be traveling in the warmer weather I agree with you thought process.

Now tech2 has made two good points 1) why mess with bearing that are not failing and 2) cheap replacements
may fail very quickly which brings us back to question #1.

If I was you and would be using my lightly or heavly load van in the warmer weather preventative maintenance is wise.
Tech2 argument to leave well enough alone is well taken but if you use quality or factory/OEM replacement parts
other than your wallet being lighter I don't see the down side.