Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Fuel filter leaking after replacement (G30 diesel)

Search this Thread

Old August 15th, 2018, 2:31 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel filter leaking after replacement (G30 diesel)

Hi

I just swapped the fuel filter after having to hard start the van about half of the times I tried driving it. Water in fuel light wasn't on, but it's an '84 that I just picked up a few months ago so I'm not confident that that sensor works in the first place. Anyway, I started it a couple times since changing it and while it appears to be starting great, there is fuel leaking from the filter. It appears to be leaking from the drain port. The old filter was not leaking. I took it off and put it back on but it's still happening. Any ideas besides trying a new filter?
Old August 15th, 2018, 4:56 PM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by bentouttashape
Hi

I just swapped the fuel filter after having to hard start the van about half of the times I tried driving it. Water in fuel light wasn't on, but it's an '84 that I just picked up a few months ago so I'm not confident that that sensor works in the first place. Anyway, I started it a couple times since changing it and while it appears to be starting great, there is fuel leaking from the filter. It appears to be leaking from the drain port. The old filter was not leaking. I took it off and put it back on but it's still happening. Any ideas besides trying a new filter?
Well, besides possibly having a poorly manufactured fuel filter or a defective one, it might be seeping from the gasket/O-ring. Diesel fuel is much like penetrating oil (in fact petroluem distillates are what they are really made of) so it doesn't take much for diesel fuel to start leaking or seeping. It might appear to to coming from the water drain plug, but it could be coming down the side of the filter through the seal. Best to wipe it down good to find out where its seeping from.