Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor

Search this Thread

Old April 8th, 2019, 8:15 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor

2005 Chevrolet Express AWD

Looks like either my fuel pressure sensor in the tank is bad or the wiring is bad. I hooked it up to a scanner and looking at live data, the sensor is stuck at 4.8v or -32 mmHG.

I will get it up on jack stands this week but wanted to see if anyone has done this on an express before? Were you able to reach the sensor without dropping the gas tank?

If you did have to drop the tank, are the straps reuseable, anything else I should watch for or words of wisdom?

Thanks
Old April 9th, 2019, 10:49 PM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by jmvar
2005 Chevrolet Express AWD

Looks like either my fuel pressure sensor in the tank is bad or the wiring is bad. I hooked it up to a scanner and looking at live data, the sensor is stuck at 4.8v or -32 mmHG.

I will get it up on jack stands this week but wanted to see if anyone has done this on an express before? Were you able to reach the sensor without dropping the gas tank?

If you did have to drop the tank, are the straps reuseable, anything else I should watch for or words of wisdom?

Thanks
I' v' reused the tank straps, but only once. Not sure I would use them more then that unless I couldn't afford to do so. Probably some corrosion problem is my guess.
Old April 10th, 2019, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

Received 512 Likes on 472 Posts

any codes setting? if yes post them.

the sensor if fed 5 volts from the pcm. if the wiring is broken it will read 4.99 volts. I would unplug the sensor and see if the reading on the scan tool changes. if you check voltages at the connector...you should get 5volts on the ref wire, 0 on the grd wire and either 5 or 0 on the signal wire.

depending on what code is setting now
-if you unplug the sensor....you should get a circuit high code
-if you jumper the 5v ref to the signal wire...you should get a circuit low code...the scan tool data should drop to 0 and the pressure reading should max out. these 2 test confirm the wiring and pcm are ok...replace the sensor

if your good at finger yoga...the sensor can be removed in vehicle...remove the driveshaft and you should be able to remove the connector and pry the sensor out of its rubber grommet. I do it with a hoist...doing on your back will be a lot harder.

Last edited by tech2; April 10th, 2019 at 11:34 AM.