Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

G Series van alternators

Search this Thread

Old April 28th, 2019, 8:32 PM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default G Series van alternators

Is there a digit in my VIN that tells what alternator I have. I'm hoping it is a 100 amp.
Old April 28th, 2019, 9:48 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I do not know where it is, but there should be a plate or a sticker listing the options. From that you take the codes and see what was factory. However, with you calling it a G Van, I am assuming this is one of the old body styles, which means it's old. It's likely been changed. Maybe they put the same one in or maybe they put a different one in. Electrically it doesn't matter right?

At least not that I am aware of.
Old April 28th, 2019, 10:03 PM
CF Active Member

It does matter if your alternator generates 50 amps and you run an inverter that draws 42 amps off of it.

Originally Posted by dberladyn
I do not know where it is, but there should be a plate or a sticker listing the options. From that you take the codes and see what was factory. However, with you calling it a G Van, I am assuming this is one of the old body styles, which means it's old. It's likely been changed. Maybe they put the same one in or maybe they put a different one in. Electrically it doesn't matter right?

At least not that I am aware of.
Old April 28th, 2019, 10:34 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

the easiest way to tell is go to Rock Auto and look up your alternator.....in the choices you can look at the pics.....the 100 amp has a different plug on the back than the 50 amp...you can match it against yours....
Old April 28th, 2019, 11:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have called dealers before and asked for a build sheet for the vin I provide. I used it to compare when shopping for a used truck. It should be on there....
Old April 29th, 2019, 12:17 AM
Super Moderator

Received 677 Likes on 613 Posts

Parts dealers can look up all your alternator options by year and model.

Originally Posted by jimmydriver
It does matter if your alternator generates 50 amps and you run an inverter that draws 42 amps off of it.
I think you can forget about powering your inverter from the alternator. Alternators are designed to just cover charging the battery and whatever amenities the vehicles has. It won't be making much more than 40-50A at idle, and even less than that will be left over for you. You are going to need a big battery for your inverter.

Old April 29th, 2019, 1:38 AM
CF Pro Member

Current builds are order-able with dual 200 amp (maybe even bigger) alternators. Do not forget these and Silverado's are used for Ambulances, Wreckers, Military and Commercial Purposes. You can even order the option for .. what do they call it, Fast-Idle. I do think you are right though, you want batteries to act as a reservoir, but there's no reason you cannot pump the amperage off the motor.

Last edited by dberladyn; April 29th, 2019 at 1:44 AM.
Old April 29th, 2019, 3:38 AM
Super Moderator

Received 677 Likes on 613 Posts

I believe fast-idle is diesel only, but his '95 wouldn't have that.

I'm thinking you would need a pretty strong motor to run two 200A alternators and maintain idle.

Last edited by mountainmanjoe; April 29th, 2019 at 3:55 AM.
Old April 29th, 2019, 9:09 AM
CF Pro Member

I wouldn't know. I found the dual alternator kit, including belt and bracket, for $350 many months ago. Adding another $300 for another alternator and I figured it just wasn't worth the expense to go this route (for my needs). An option with auxiliary batteries is just to keep them on a separate electrical system altogether, even the charging.

Old April 29th, 2019, 7:12 PM
CF Active Member

Interesting video. I've also watched a few videos of people who take the diodes out and connect the alternator to a fan so they can use wind to generate AC electricity. I'd prefer to generate DC so you can use batteries to store the power.

Originally Posted by dberladyn
I wouldn't know. I found the dual alternator kit, including belt and bracket, for $350 many months ago. Adding another $300 for another alternator and I figured it just wasn't worth the expense to go this route (for my needs). An option with auxiliary batteries is just to keep them on a separate electrical system altogether, even the charging.

https://youtu.be/YJMOir7ptBg?t=254