Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

G20 Van Won't Crank, All panel lights on

Search this Thread

Old April 2nd, 2011, 2:18 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G20 Van Won't Crank, All panel lights on

Hello Everyone, My name is Dom and I have a 1992 Chevy G20 5.7L van, I hope someone can help me, It started a couple weeks ago I'd put the key in and all the instrument panel lights come on and when I turn the key to start the van, Nothing. I'd try to start it a couple more times and It would Crank and start, Well It got worse the next week, It would take 5 to 10 times turning the key to get it to crank and start, But it would always eventually start, Now nothing tried 30 times to start it, no crank, check engine light stays on, the panel brake light is on, I'm wondering if its the ignition switch, And if not what else could it be ??, My battery has sufficient power, checked it with a voltmeter read 12.4 DCV, I've had a bad starter before and I don't think it is that, No whirling no clunk, I actually got a switch from autozone, it was the same switch but the bracket was different so I tried putting the new switch on the old bracket it didn't really fit tight, but I put it on and all the instrument panel lights came on but still didn't start, Im going to get the proper switch from O'reilys tomorrow, But if it's not the switch what else could cause it not to crank?? Is there a way I can jump the wires from the ignition switch to see if it will crank ?? Please help

Last edited by DomS; April 2nd, 2011 at 5:08 AM.
Old April 2nd, 2011, 10:56 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum. If the starter solenoid doesn't even click, either it's not getting power from the ignition switch with key in start or the engine block is not properly grounded to the battery negative terminal. I wouldn't do anything dangerous like "jump the wires from the ignition switch." Check the continuity over the PPL wire (YEL wire with clutch depressed if M/T) between the ignition switch and starter solenoid and also between the engine block and battery negative terminal?
Old April 2nd, 2011, 11:41 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank You EinST, It is the solenoid, I banged on the starter and it started right up, I really didn't think it was the starter, Its only 3 yrs old, I appreciate your help. Getting a new starter today instead of the switch.

Last edited by DomS; April 2nd, 2011 at 11:43 AM.
Old April 2nd, 2011, 1:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ah, I see, the old "bang on the starter" trick. Thanks for the update.