Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Gas Cap Fix (Finally!)

Search this Thread

Old November 29th, 2018, 11:11 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Gas Cap Fix (Finally!)

I can be lazy and put things off forever. I suspect there was a little plastic pin that popped out or maybe some gas jockey took it for their car, but my gas cap was lose-able for the last two years. Every time I filled up with gas I would tell myself that I would fix this problem. It's not really a problem as part of me likes removing the cap completely so that it does not fall against the body causing scratches, but it's now fixed. Upon meeting Joe I was able to look at his truck just to be exactly sure of the factory setup. I am glad I did because formerly I was just going to undue a screw and mount it elsewhere.

As you can see from the photo having left hand doors comes with some extra burdens. Like all of that sand that keeps getting kicked up into the filler spout area. I have some rubber here, I will look sometime. I should be able to install a shield, like a mudflap, only one for the gas cap area.

Last edited by dberladyn; November 29th, 2018 at 11:13 AM.
Old November 29th, 2018, 4:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You need mudflaps in a huge way to cut down on that spray. Protect your very nice investment.
Old November 29th, 2018, 5:36 PM
Super Moderator

Received 664 Likes on 602 Posts

He actually has mudflaps. This is grit that has been flung forward off the rear wheel and up in the body. A real marvel of engineering (like the brake lines that sever themselves).
Old November 29th, 2018, 7:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I was going by his profile pics...did not see them. I have mudflaps too, and I have that awful Alberta clay based crap in every nook and cranny under my van. Its like the spray gets everywhere. I chipped a bunch of clumps off the inside back corners of the body that were just starting to show corrosion behind. When I bough my van i spent days chipping, scraping a power washing it to try to get it clean. In contrast, my 2002 was cleaner and completely corrosion free when I sold it than my 2013 is now.
I have not had the gas cap issue though.
Old November 29th, 2018, 7:42 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

That picture was from when it brand new with less than 100Km. Oh... if I could have it back to that again~! Anyways no mud flaps installed yet (when the picture was taken).

I get the spray in my filler area because I have LEFT HAND doors. They moved the gas filler back and over wheel well to accommodate them. Well, just ahead of the wheel well regardless. I do like how the filler assembly is higher on the body than a normal van but the sand spray was a definite oversight. It will make it's way right into the gasoline if a person isn't careful. That picture above is no more than four weeks after cleaning. You should see it build up if I do not wash in that area. Then as mentioned that brake line. You would think some worker on an assembly line would have noted that and flagged it. I noticed it within the first month or two... I remember thinking - oh look at that, then I just ignored it.