Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Gas milage

Search this Thread

Old March 21st, 2021, 1:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 272 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
I've read that the injectors for FF engines are larger than non-FF injectors. So it seems it's not just about software. (it makes sensesince you need more volume of ethanol to produce the same power as gasoline). Also, my service manuals say that FF engines operate on lower fuel pressure (I don't understand why).

The Gen V 4.3L FF engine is able to make 297hp on E85 (12 more hp than using straight gasoline). Engines designed and tuned for ethanol are more powerful. (hence why racers use it). Of course you are burning a lot more volume of fuel, so it's costing you more money too.
That might be true for some makes, but in my experience with GM and other domestic manufacturers, there’s no difference between flex or non flex injectors - they’re all built with the same size injectors and the capabilities are either turned on or off within the PCM. However there is a difference between port and direct injector sizes.

I don’t know for sure on the fuel pressure except to say that every fuel has a different ideal (stoichiometric) air-fuel ratio. Gasoline is approximately 14.7:1 whereas alcohol is much lower - somewhere around 10:1. It’s possible that ratio can’t be maintained by adjusting injector pulse width alone, so modulation of the fuel pump could be utilized to reduce the pressure.
Old March 21st, 2021, 8:34 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

I daily drove that '60 in 1994 and 1995.

Just FWIW, while I've only run this 1994 G20 with a 4.3 about 250 miles, it seems to get around 20 highway. It only used about half the 14-ish gallons I put in it to go 150 miles home. But it hangs around the half mark forever and given all the sitting it did who knows if the gauge works right.

Old March 23rd, 2021, 10:39 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

If you look up part numbers for both FFV and non FFV GM vehicles you will see alot of different part numbers. Several things are beefed up to handle the ethanol. In the hot rod world, alot of people tuning LS engines use the factory FFV injectors when adding superchargers and the like. I can tell you from a fleet manager's perspective when we started seeing FFV GM and Ford vehicles show up (2008 up Crown Victoria 4.6L) (lastest gen Caprice 6.0L) fuel pump failures almost became non existent especially for vehicles that end up sitting around for a year with no use.
Old March 23rd, 2021, 5:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 272 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by Garner Ames
If you look up part numbers for both FFV and non FFV GM vehicles you will see alot of different part numbers. Several things are beefed up to handle the ethanol. In the hot rod world, alot of people tuning LS engines use the factory FFV injectors when adding superchargers and the like. I can tell you from a fleet manager's perspective when we started seeing FFV GM and Ford vehicles show up (2008 up Crown Victoria 4.6L) (lastest gen Caprice 6.0L) fuel pump failures almost became non existent especially for vehicles that end up sitting around for a year with no use.
I know GM has made changes to some FFV components out of necessity. The most recent example I can think of is the high pressure fuel pump on their direct injected engines - the earliest versions started leaking ethanol through the pump seals and into the crankcase - so I suppose changes to other components has been necessary as well.

Maybe I just haven’t had to look for parts where being flex vs. non-flex made a difference.
Old March 28th, 2021, 3:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gas mileage and flex fuel

If fuel economy is a driving factor get it chipped. If you are smart about it, I've average 10 percent across most vehicles. I've done diesel and gas. There are some cautionary tales out there but I've been installing and using them for the last 10 years and had some good success with it .
Old November 4th, 2022, 2:50 PM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sharing some road trip mileage data for my 2000 3500 with a 5.7L and 3.73 gears. On multiple fall & winter trips back and forth from the PNW to Utah I averaged between 15.5 and 16.00 MPG. This route includes climbs through many mountain passes and cruising at 80 MPH in parts of ID and UT where the speed limit is that high. The best mileage I've seen was on a trip between Atlanta and Virginia Beach in July at 18.1 MPG and then 18.3 MPG from VA Beach north on US-13 which is completely flat and has a 50 MPH speed limit for much of it. I don't have mileage numbers for in-town driving.