Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Hard start up with white smoke 2002 GMC Savana

Search this Thread

Old July 26th, 2021, 11:12 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard start up with white smoke 2002 GMC Savana

So it starts hard after sitting overnight, usually have to press the accelerator to get it started. There is an active coolant leak( was going to put a bottle of Bar Stop Leak in to see if it stops).
I had the water pump replaced last August. There is no visible sign of coolant in the oil nor does the radiator bubble with the cap off when running.
In the last 6 weeks Ive had the exhaust fixed( right side cat apparently was the wrong size, replaced with correct 3.25 or 3.5 inch size)
Check engine light was on, replaced Bank 1 Sensor #2 O2 sensor and check engine light has been off since (3weeks).

Once started it idles high and rough until it reaches operating temp (160 degrees). Once its warmed up it generally runs fine with some minor hesitation intermittently from stop lights.

Neither of the two shops I took it to mentioned any codes other than the O2 sensor. Ive read it may be the fuel pressure regulator.

Any thoughts?
Old July 27th, 2021, 4:16 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

When the pressure regulator in mine quit it would not start at all. For a long time it would require me to crank it a little, stop, then crank it again. Then it would start fine. When it quit it started a bit of rough idle but it went from running to no-start in about 48 hours.

It's under the top of the intake so I never have changed it, I bought another van.

You need to get a scanner on there and look at the live data for anything out of line causing the high idle.

You should not ever have to press the pedal to get one of these to start.