Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

help please: emissions test set off CEL P0098 intake air temp sensor 2 circuit high

Search this Thread

Old February 5th, 2020, 7:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help please: emissions test set off CEL P0098 intake air temp sensor 2 circuit high

2009 Chevy Express 2500 VAN duramax 6.6L - went to get emissions done today with no check engine light. I failed and during emission test a check engine light was triggered with the code:

P0098 intake air temperature sensor 2 circuit high

Assuming a sensor needs to be replaced? If that's the case, wondering if access sensor in a van is different from pickups / larger engine bay Duramax's. Thanks in advance!
Old February 5th, 2020, 9:43 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by tskier
2009 Chevy Express 2500 VAN duramax 6.6L - went to get emissions done today with no check engine light. I failed and during emission test a check engine light was triggered with the code:

P0098 intake air temperature sensor 2 circuit high

Assuming a sensor needs to be replaced? If that's the case, wondering if access sensor in a van is different from pickups / larger engine bay Duramax's. Thanks in advance!
A code P0098 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:
Internally failed #2 IAT sensor
Faulty connection at #2 IAT sensor
Open in IAT ground circuit or signal circuit
Short to voltage in IAT signal circuit or reference circuit
IAT harness and/or wiring routed too close to high-voltage wiring (e.g. alternator, spark plug cables, etc.)
Faulty PCM (less likely but not impossible)

Old February 7th, 2020, 3:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
A code P0098 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:
Internally failed #2 IAT sensor
Faulty connection at #2 IAT sensor
Open in IAT ground circuit or signal circuit
Short to voltage in IAT signal circuit or reference circuit
IAT harness and/or wiring routed too close to high-voltage wiring (e.g. alternator, spark plug cables, etc.)
Faulty PCM (less likely but not impossible)
Many thanks for this. The same day that this happened I started getting a "reduced power" message and it would indeed be much lower power in low gear and then get better as I got up to speed. Code is: "P0101 Mass or Volume Air Flow A Circuit Range / Performance".

Related?
"
Old February 8th, 2020, 1:00 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by tskier
Many thanks for this. The same day that this happened I started getting a "reduced power" message and it would indeed be much lower power in low gear and then get better as I got up to speed. Code is: "P0101 Mass or Volume Air Flow A Circuit Range / Performance".

Related?"
Very likely. If you haven't done so, I'd clean the MAF or replace it, I made the mistake of using a K&N oil-cloth filter on my 98 K-1500. After a few weeks, the MAF was
messing up. I got lucky and cleaned it and it's still working fine. The oil got on the MAF sensor elements. Luckily I didn't have to buy a new one, Chucked the K&N and only use ACDelco air filters now.