Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Help! Van driving me crazy

Search this Thread

Old September 5th, 2019, 11:43 AM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry to hear that you were not able find the source of the sound. The symptoms you have described are very similar to what I experienced with a faulty water pump. My van was quiet at idle, which is why I needed to have my son get the engine up to around 1500-2000 RPM while I probed around with the stethoscope (when driving around it almost sounded like the fan clutch was locked up and fully engaged, except with a bit more of a squeal/whine in the noise).

The power steering pump can squeal (but it's usually more of an angry moan), the hydroboost can also make some unique noises, and so can a bad a/c compressor. Hopefully a mechanic can figure it out without having to throw a bunch of money at it chasing parts.
Old September 6th, 2019, 4:44 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GatorHawk24
Sorry to hear that you were not able find the source of the sound. The symptoms you have described are very similar to what I experienced with a faulty water pump. My van was quiet at idle, which is why I needed to have my son get the engine up to around 1500-2000 RPM while I probed around with the stethoscope (when driving around it almost sounded like the fan clutch was locked up and fully engaged, except with a bit more of a squeal/whine in the noise).

The power steering pump can squeal (but it's usually more of an angry moan), the hydroboost can also make some unique noises, and so can a bad a/c compressor. Hopefully a mechanic can figure it out without having to throw a bunch of money at it chasing parts.
Yeah I dont think it would be the pump...that moan is a sound that you can't mistake once you hear....I can't think of anything else other then a.bad alignment or glazed pulleys. Luckily I know a good mechanic so ill find out soon what the problem is.
Old September 26th, 2019, 11:19 AM
CF Junior Member

Harmonic balancer was the issue
Old November 3rd, 2019, 12:58 PM
CF Junior Member

Ok so replaced harmonic balancer and car is still squealing..mechanic thinks its the crankshaft but im skeptical of that. I would think a bad crankshaft would make more noise than a squeal...the harmonic balancer is still wobbling even after replacement.
Old November 9th, 2019, 5:01 PM
CF Junior Member

Bump bumo
Old May 2nd, 2020, 9:19 AM
CF Junior Member

bump bump