Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Hey yall!

Search this Thread

Old April 8th, 2010, 11:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1978 Chevy G30 in bad state

I appreciate that this forum is here, and I sure do hope somebody will be able to give me the advice I need.

I am a broke with dreams of travel with my toddler, my wife and our amicable dog and cat.

I was recently gifted a Jayco MiniJay from 1978. It rides on a 1978 G30 Chassis. It is old, ugly and free. Right now that is what we can afford, so I am trying to find ways to save money by working around problems, rather than going straight for the tool belt to take out parts.

Problem #1....Brake System

This is really bad. I have never seen a reservoir that had Brake Fluid 'Diamonds' growing up on the inside! Maybe I could sell those crystals for cash?? Anyhow, the guy that towed it for me took one look and said, "Your going to spend a lot of money on this". Not what I hoped for.

I'd like to clean out the master cylinder and replace the seals, etc. I'd like to flush the lines...haven't even begun to think about the hardware on the wheels.

Everybody seems to say 'flush with brake fluid'. But I am really concerned about the diamond pit in my reservoir. There must be a world of trouble in those lines, and in the hardware to follow.

What is my cheapest option, that will allow me to get this ship on the water?

God Bless

ps I have the Haynes Manual
ps2 I am wondering about a solvent I could bleed thru that would dissolve the crystals and gunk. Then follow with a Brake Fluid 'Chaser' to clear out the previous solvent and air?

Last edited by Traylor Trasch; April 9th, 2010 at 8:33 AM.