Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Hose connections radiator

Search this Thread

Old August 15th, 2018, 8:13 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hose connections radiator

So, had a new radiator installed, and vehicle now using around 2 gallons a week of fluid. Radiator place says no leak, not their problem. Looking at the top 2 skinny pipes, I think they have them reversed. The top one at the cap should go to the reservoir, for overflow and overheating, through the cap? They have it connected to the throttle body pipe.
Old August 15th, 2018, 9:21 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Syncman
So, had a new radiator installed, and vehicle now using around 2 gallons a week of fluid. Radiator place says no leak, not their problem. Looking at the top 2 skinny pipes, I think they have them reversed. The top one at the cap should go to the reservoir, for overflow and overheating, through the cap? They have it connected to the throttle body pipe.
Hi, we could use more information like year, manufacturer, model, engine size, mileage and a picture. How are you losing 2 gallons a week without evidence of a leak?

Last edited by Twscarp; August 15th, 2018 at 10:15 AM.
Old August 15th, 2018, 9:55 AM
CF Junior Member

Sorry. Express 2004 2500. 6L V8, 340,000 m. With the 2 top hoses swapped around, I believe excess fluid being pushed into reservoir as it heats, and out through overflow. Pretty sure that's my problem. BTW radiator repair company tried to pressurize the radiator, but it wouldn't. Claimed a faulty test device. Pressure just going out through lower pipe into reservoir I guess. Reason I am double checking is that I could not believe they screwed this up!
Right now I have them swopped around, top hose to the Reservoir.

Last edited by Syncman; August 15th, 2018 at 10:09 AM.
Old August 15th, 2018, 10:43 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Syncman
Yes, I agree with you. My 2008 Express 1500 4.3 V6 does not use the lower hose attachment point, but the upper goes to the reservoir.

Old August 15th, 2018, 11:18 AM
CF Junior Member

i addmit i have no knowlege helpful to this trouble [unless it's a blowen head gasket] i will say ''i think'' most shops , not all , are crooks. This is why i learned to do my own work on my cars / trucks. All but one time i used one i had to redoe there work or fix something else they screwed up while they did the repair. My moto has served me well for 45 years ''why pay $90 an hour when i can screw it up for free'' , lol ! Really you do save a ''lot of money'' and get a better job but it also can alert you to other troubles coming down the line by just looking around at parts while your in there anyway. The one time a shop did work right they saw my pads were low and put on new ones but the ones they used were organit not bi matelic [caused fadding away going down mountian side] they did replace them for free so i give them a pass. Good luck and please let us know what caused it when you fix it .