Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

hot rod mufflers and cold air intake???

Search this Thread

Old August 5th, 2019, 1:57 PM
CF Beginner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default hot rod mufflers and cold air intake???

I would like your opinion on after market muffers and cold air intake or staying with the chevy stock system.i don't need loud mufflers.but would like good performance.and heard the stock system was better Thanks everyone
Old August 5th, 2019, 2:39 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I think it depends on your Engine. One of the members here looked underneath my truck and his response was "Wow, your exhaust is massive !". They are all different for each right? Or maybe that was my driveshaft. I forget. Most of my components are on the beefier side. I wouldn't want a loud truck, but I have been impressed by the sound at the tail pipe upon start up. There is a nice sporty powerful rumble there.
Old August 5th, 2019, 5:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default mufflers and cold air intake

my main reason for this question is weight.i don't want to put on lighter heads or a cam.so I have to take off weight.I will be taking out three of the back seats.first the 4 seater in the very back.I also know the stock muffler and resonator are massive,but would leave them if it will hurt performance.if I replaced the muffler and resonator maybe a chevy tuneup to adjust the computer would work.don't know
Old August 5th, 2019, 5:22 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't know. Truthfully, that stuff is all beyond me. The last time I even thought about it was thirty years ago when I was trying to assemble two late seventies model Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme's into one "hot" car. Thrush Muffler. That was what I wanted a Thrush Muffler. I remember that. Pot. I should have not smoked pot. It really held me down financially and mentally. That was a total waste of time but the van does bring me back to some of the enjoyment of learning. That car and tinkering probably imprinted on me in some ways.
Old August 5th, 2019, 6:50 PM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Won't be doing cold intake myself (5.7 350), will be replacing my beat muffler with a flowmaster in the next week or so. I can do a test run with the pie lid flipped upside down and let you know then if it breathes any better.
Old August 10th, 2019, 10:07 AM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As I suspected, gets up to speed a fraction better. Holding speed on incline is more noticeable.