Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

I found a 1995 G20 Conversion Van - Need advice

Search this Thread

Old August 1st, 2019, 8:39 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I found a 1995 G20 Conversion Van - Need advice

I found a van that I'm really interested in, but it's a 1995. I just wondered how many of you out there have Chevy conversion vans this old, and can you still find parts and people to service them? I am 65 and female, so I really don't want to get into complicated repairs on my own. I can do basic maintenance. I live in a rural area, so it will be used partly for day to day hauling, including my dog, and partly for travel. It only has 72,000 miles on it, SUPPOSEDLY. Thanks!
Old August 1st, 2019, 10:00 AM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

'93, it was not well taken care of. I'd be suspicious mileage that low. Title likely says exempt, most won't mention that until the title is in your hand already. Not enough room here to name all the fun I went through just getting mine roadworthy and legal (still more work being done). GM still supports the older models for the most part. Some parts require a boneyard visit to find. The Astro van and truck line of the later years are all similar mechanically, so it's not that hard to find a knowledgeable wrench. Not trying to scare you away, just be aware previous care goes a long way. If preventative maintenance was done by the previous owner (records are gold) and the current condition is still fairly good (runs smooth and shifts reliably/solid) the older models are my personal preference. One last note, ask about taking the dog house off to view the motor. This will also give you a chance to look at the gasket where the trans mounts without crawling under. Evidence of fresh work combined with dodgy answers, likely bad. If the owner is open and honest, the evidence of work done looks professional, and you don't care about exempt/suspicious mileage. These vans last a good long time, plenty still on the road. Assuming you test drove, how did that go? Any idiot lights?

Last edited by Beau Oszman; August 1st, 2019 at 10:07 AM.
Old August 1st, 2019, 12:19 PM
CF Beginner

Default Thanks!

Originally Posted by Beau Oszman
'93, it was not well taken care of. I'd be suspicious mileage that low. Title likely says exempt, most won't mention that until the title is in your hand already. Not enough room here to name all the fun I went through just getting mine roadworthy and legal (still more work being done). GM still supports the older models for the most part. Some parts require a boneyard visit to find. The Astro van and truck line of the later years are all similar mechanically, so it's not that hard to find a knowledgeable wrench. Not trying to scare you away, just be aware previous care goes a long way. If preventative maintenance was done by the previous owner (records are gold) and the current condition is still fairly good (runs smooth and shifts reliably/solid) the older models are my personal preference. One last note, ask about taking the dog house off to view the motor. This will also give you a chance to look at the gasket where the trans mounts without crawling under. Evidence of fresh work combined with dodgy answers, likely bad. If the owner is open and honest, the evidence of work done looks professional, and you don't care about exempt/suspicious mileage. These vans last a good long time, plenty still on the road. Assuming you test drove, how did that go? Any idiot lights?
Thank you for your helpful reply. No, I haven't test driven it, yet. Hoping to do that this evening.
Old August 2nd, 2019, 6:14 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I might be bias.

Mine is a 95 same as the one you are thinking of. These have a 5.7 engine (350) so probably the most popular engine of all time. The transmission is a 4L60E which is an electronic automatic overdrive.

Parts:

Engine/trans/mechanical - Yes, you can still get parts at a local chain supplier pretty easy and if you can't find it local, Amazon and Rockauto.com will have what you need.

Body/suspension/glass - A little harder to find.

Conversion pieces - Check out this site for all the custom pieces from ashtrays to miniblinds.Van Conversions, Conversion Vans, Repair Parts, Van Accessories, Van Parts, V-Sales, Elkhart, Indiana, IN, Mark III, Mark 3, Mark Three or eBay

One of the most important things to me is the condition of the engine because replacing it is almost impossible on a van. If this van has air conditioning, you will likely have an AC hose cross right over the radiator and fan shroud. This makes working on some things under the hood pretty challenging. For example, if you take it to a shop to replace the water pump, they will probably charge you to evacuate the AC so they can remove the hose and get to the water pump. Opening the dog house adds half an hour labor or so for every little thing too so I try to do as much under there as possible when I have it off.

I just installed a Transgo SK4L60e shift kit in the transmission. It makes the transmission shifts shorter so there is less wear and heat, hopefully extending the life.

About to take a 6 hour trip in it. It's like driving your living room.

Good luck,
John

Old August 2nd, 2019, 7:54 AM
CF Active Member

Looks like a prettier version, same motor trans combo. After rotting in a driveway for a bit before I bought it, sprung a trans leak and ran dry before I caught it. Got a rebuild done to HD reman spec. Shifts are in the same place, just more noticeable.
Old August 2nd, 2019, 9:38 AM
CF Beginner

Thank you! This was very helpful. I love these large older vans (used to have a Ford conversion van), but I'm a little intimidated by what can go wrong, as you noted. I'm still mulling this over. Plus, from everything I can find online, they seem to be asking too much, but say they are negotiable. ($7500). I'm not in a rush to decide, and if they sell it, so be it.

I really appreciate your advice, especially the link to conversion parts, because one way or another, I'm going to personalize a van or mini-van!

Lynn
Old August 2nd, 2019, 12:51 PM
CF Active Member

Had a min van once upon a time. Key word there is had, never again.
Old August 2nd, 2019, 4:41 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi again

$7500 sounds high but it depends on the condition.

I paid $3500 about six months ago for a good interior van. The engine is good but I had to rebuild the cooling system including radiator ,water pump, heater valve, thermostat and all the hoses. Parts are cheap if you do the work but labor is what kills you.

There are a few tests you might consider at the test drive.

1. A cooling system pressure test. Make sure it holds 16lbs. If you don’t want to show up with a tester, drive it till it’s fully warmed up then turn it off pop the hood. The top hose should be hard when you squeeze it. Even after several minutes. If it’s not there is a leak somewhere.

2. To rule out a head or head gasket issue you can rent a combustion gas leak tester. You put this special blue fluid in and if it turns green after the test it’s not good. YouTube has videos to show the test.

3. Check the fluids and review the records as mentioned.

4. Take a thermometer to test the ac output.

5. Look at the brake pedal. Is the rubber pad worn through? If yes, might be more miles than it shows. Is the pedal brand new looking? Why would they replace that???

others with have tricks too. This thing has an old school steering box that might be really sloppy. Like driving a bus.

John