Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

I might buy an Express :)

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2023, 1:41 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I might buy an Express :)

Hi all,

I looked at an AWD 2010 Express today that I might buy

It has a 128,000 mile 5.3L V8, and is labeled "Flex Fuel" (can also take ethanol). Anyone know if this engine is an especially good or bad one, or what its known or common issues are? How many miles can it be reliably expected to go for before notable repair costs come along?

How about with the 2010 Express, in general? What issues is it known to have?

Anything in particular you'd suggest I look at/inspect on it before buying it?

Also, I'm thinking about building it out as a camper. Any of you have any Express buildouts or conversions that you'd like to share pictures or knowledge of?
One thing I'm wondering is about putting swivel adapters under the front seats. The seller bought some adapters that are not yet installed, but it seems they may raise the seats a little too high for my long torso on my 6'2.5" height. Is there a way to have swivel adapters under the front seats without raising them up so high?
Can I get replace the hinges on the passenger-side swing-out doors so they'll swing open more than 90 degrees from the side? ORRR can I replace the swing out doors with a sliding door!?

What are some of your favorite best bang for buck add-ons, accessories and the like, whether for performance or comfort?

Thanks much, I look forward to seeing what y'all have to say!

Ted
Old May 29th, 2023, 3:59 AM
Super Moderator

Received 658 Likes on 597 Posts

Originally Posted by ted939
labeled "Flex Fuel" (can also take ethanol). Anyone know if this engine is an especially good or bad one, or what its known or common issues are?
Yeah, bad. Avoid it. The flex fuel system is a terrible design. It will give you constant problems and in the end reduce the life of the engine and exhaust sytem.

How many miles can it be reliably expected to go for before notable repair costs come along?
That depends on the history, and how you will drive it.
My roof leaked at 34k. TCM failed at 50k. The transmission failed at 55k
The engine rattles.
The paint is peeling (common)

can I replace the swing out doors with a sliding door!?
You should make new posts for separate questions if you want good answers. Avoid making laundry-list posts. More importantly, cross bridges when you get to them.
But no, you can't
The following users liked this post:
ted939 (May 29th, 2023)