Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

installing a window in cargo van . . .

Search this Thread

Old April 4th, 2024, 4:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
The window is glued in
Like I said before, your van does not have a support structure that passenger models have. It's missing a horizontal beam. Maybe you should do more research before continuing down this path. If your body panel flexes too much the window will shatter. A 1x4 piece of wood isn't going to do squat.

ouch. This is why people don't want to ask for help. We're all happy that you know exactly what you're doing but I came looking for these answers as well since I was donated a cargo van that appears to have indented space for Windows.. Wondering if there's any way to add a window.
Old April 4th, 2024, 4:49 PM
Super Moderator

Received 657 Likes on 596 Posts

Originally Posted by Medekova
I came looking for these answers .
The answer is "don't".
Buy a window van.
Old April 4th, 2024, 5:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default cargo van window install a success

Well we had it installed . . . and 1 year later and 10,000 miles the window is perfect. Such a great improvement!
Old April 4th, 2024, 6:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rod E
Well we had it installed . . . and 1 year later and 10,000 miles the window is perfect. Such a great improvement!
it looks AWESOME!!! Good job! 💜
Old April 5th, 2024, 7:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The answer is "don't".
Buy a window van.
The answer is "don't".
Buy a window van.
​​​​​
If that's the answer, what was the question? It must have been something like "I'm too lazy to come up with a solution to this problem, and would like to waste a lot of money. What do you recommend?"

I actually did this, and it wasn't that difficult but it did take a couple of weekends to do it properly. I found a passenger van at the U Pull R Parts near me, removed the window with a $20 Harbor Freight window kit, and then cut out the entire area with the inner support structure out with a sawsall. The window was $40, and the sawsall rental and cost for a body cut was $75. Just take a picture of the inside of your cargo van, compare it to the passenger van, and cut out everything on the passenger van that's missing from the cargo van. They usually charge per piece at these types of salvage yards, so it's in your best interest to cut it all out in one very large piece.

After that, I brought it home and it was pretty easy to see what needed to be removed from the cargo van. It took a lot of effort with an angle grinder to remove the inner support from the outer steel on the body cut, but once it was removed and the cargo van structure was modified, it wasn't horribly difficult to install.

Every part of the inner support structure that touches the inner side of the body steel needs to be prepped so that body adhesive can be properly applied. Follow the instructions on the body panel adhesive. DO NOT skimp on this and use a different type of adhesive, it's not worth it. The body panel adhesive is about $40 and the gun to use it will set you back another $80

The parts of the inner support structure that touch the body supports inside the van need to be welded, and you will also weld the inner support to the outer body steel around the window flange where the window will cover the welded area. This combination of welding and body adhesive is very similar to how it's installed on the passenger vans, so pay attention to how they did it and you'll know exactly where to weld at this point. Basically, don't weld in any area of the outer body steel of that area isn't going to be covered by the window. Otherwise you'll be repairing paint on the outside of the van. (Fun fact: Rust-Oleum Appliance Epoxy in white was a dead-on match for my 2002 Savanna. This is also useful knowledge for repairing the inevitable paint flaking that the white vans are known for)

After that, use a panel cutter chisel for an air hammer to remove the window area. This works great if you use it from the outside. The cutter will neatly follow the seam where the two steel panels are now joined.
Once cut out, follow the instructions on the window adhesive to attach the window, and then start planning your next project: making an interior panel that blends in well with your new window.

​​​​​​​I hope this helps someone who is looking for a window solution for their Express/Savanna. It's certainly a better option than just starting over with a different van 😅

The following 3 users liked this post by TopDeadCenter:
Derrick71 (April 5th, 2024), mountainmanjoe (April 6th, 2024), Rod E (April 5th, 2024)