Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

To insulate or not to insulate? That's my question.

Search this Thread

Old April 12th, 2015, 10:35 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go check out the sportsmobile forums, many there converted their vans in to campers and did the insulation thing. Most used the foil faced bubble wrap type (forgot the name)
Old April 20th, 2015, 11:43 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I can't see that actually insulating a lot compared to Roxul. I just picked up Plastic Moulded Panels to line in the interior. I have to stop at a supplier to see what's available for 2" Roxul batts. I just hope I don't get moisture issues. I think I am going to tack the batts in with construction adhesive, once the liner is installed they won't go anywhere.
Old April 21st, 2015, 6:39 PM
CF Pro Member

Good Idea or Bad Idea?

I took some Spray Foam insulation and insulated the ribs and crevices in preparation for installing the Roxul and Panels. It has to cure before I can off the excess. It's in there pretty thick some places.
Attached Thumbnails To insulate or not to insulate?  That's my question.-dsc01023.jpg  
Old April 25th, 2015, 8:10 PM
CF Pro Member

I insulated the passenger side today.

Roxul Comfortbatt IS
Attached Thumbnails To insulate or not to insulate?  That's my question.-dsc_0006.jpg   To insulate or not to insulate?  That's my question.-dsc_0005.jpg  
Old April 26th, 2015, 6:09 PM
CF Pro Member

Driver's side is insulated.
Attached Thumbnails To insulate or not to insulate?  That's my question.-dsc_0009.jpg   To insulate or not to insulate?  That's my question.-dsc_0008.jpg  
Old April 28th, 2015, 11:10 AM
CF Pro Member

I feel like an idiot. I'm depressed this morning. I looked in my rearview mirror and I can see the ribs of the body as the expanding foam swelled and added ever so slight creases to the outside panels. If you are going to do this make sure you use LOW EXPANSION FOAM. I did take my time and I sprayed in two or three passes, letting it expand each time but I'm sure I just used the wrong foam. I now keep looking at other vans to see if I can spot the ribs from the outside... this will drive nuts forever. Most people will never notice it, but I do. I wonder now too if I bolt shelving to those ribs if the stresses will further worsen the slight creases?

Last edited by dberladyn; April 28th, 2015 at 9:09 PM.
Old May 4th, 2015, 9:37 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I was also worried about insulation as i camp in my Express. Sorry for the late chime in... What i did was took regular pink foam insulation on a roll, split in half ( so it was thinner) And installed it between the ribs using tie wire to hold it in place. I stabbed the wire underneath each rib ( between the rib and the actual outside wall, lacing the insulation in place. I did this near the top, middle and bottom. After that I installed my panels which covered the insulation, screwing them to the ribs. For panels I used 1/8 plywood cut to shapes for all walls and ceiling. After the panels were cut to shape and dryfitted, I glued marine carpet ( thin, plush, rubberized back) with outdoor carpet glue and neatly wrapped the sides around the back. These then got screwed into place to the frames with aluminum pan heads ( big flat head screws painted black )

Before final installation, I took strips of carpet and hot glued over the long upper rails so that no white metal showed through. And of course ran wiring for all my LEDs.

I camp in this in the dead of winter and summer, 100 degrees to Zero. The only time I have issues with condensation is when i sleep in it in cold weather and don't crack windows a tiny bit. ( And I use a heater buddy to dry the air up )

Hopefully this helps someone in the future!

Name:  VanZilla015_zps3e60ddf2.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  222.7 KB
Old May 4th, 2015, 11:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice.
Old May 11th, 2015, 6:55 PM
CF Pro Member

Hi,

I was a bit surprised no one commented on my mishap with spray foaming my van. It's been nearly two weeks I think and somethings happened. If you remember I was upset that the foam forced the panels outwards at the ribs. I knew not to spray too much, but it's so easy, especially when you start rushing to get something done.

Anyways over the last few days I started noticing something. I haven't quite put my finger on it, but I am sure at least one of the outward bulges reversed itself and became a slight inwards indentation. Today, while working and filling up with gas I noticed that I couldn't really see the bulges anymore. I haven't cleaned the van, so there's some slight dirt and it's overcast today, so both may have something to do with it.

However, it's led me to think that perhaps with all the sunshine and heat we've had lately (and this was a concern), perhaps the panels have expanded and swelled a little stretching out the humps? Or perhaps the heat expansion and vibrations from driving have forced things into a more natural relaxed state? Or of course maybe the van is just covered in a very light layer of dirt and there's no direct sunlight.

I've been wanting to visit a few different body shops and ask them opinions on correcting my issues with the panels. Does no one here have anything to contribute? It is a work van, but it's a new van and it's defeating to have installed the plastic liners to protect the body only to have forced the ribs out.

I have one other question that has been on my mind since this all began. GM uses a very spongy foam (what I should have used) between the rib and outer panel. Does anyone here think that the ribs somewhat "float" independently from the body panel? Are they uncoupled for vibration and expansion issues? Or are they spot welded together? For me, I can't view mine any longer as they are foamed and completely covered by plastic panels.

A concern of mine when I started thinking about it, is that perhaps they are uncoupled which would diminish the panel from denting and stretching as the entire body and rib cage vibrated, stretched, twisted, etc. over the course of the vehicles life. My main concern was that the foam would make things worse in this respect as it "glues" the two items together. I've contemplated taking a hot wire (which probably won't work) or a hacksaw blade and cutting down the foam in between the rib and the panel.

Can anyone determine for me if the panel and rib are "attached" or are they "free" from eachother?

Thank you.

Last edited by dberladyn; May 11th, 2015 at 7:00 PM.
Old May 12th, 2015, 7:45 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To be honest, I am sure you wouldn't like my reply I wanted to say the second I read you used spray foam.

I am sure the improvement is probably a combination of everything you mentioned. I know my roof is not connected to the ribs since I can pretty much get my fingers between them. If you are nervous about having them glued together, you could try the hot knife or hacksaw blade idea.

Me personally I would just leave everything and use the van.

Quick Reply: To insulate or not to insulate? That's my question.