Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Intermittent power failure at start and before - 2003 Express 3500

Search this Thread

Old September 2nd, 2017, 11:50 AM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Intermittent power failure at start and before - 2003 Express 3500

Two times now I have got in my van and had a problem with power.

1st the van sat overnight. There was a light rain overnight.
I got in the van, put the key in and started it not paying close attention to the dash lights, but when there was not start and the dash went dead it got my attention.
I got out and looked under the hood for anything obvious ... nothing.
I got back in the van and it it starts normally.

2nd time the van sat for two days and it was a steady rain for at least four hours prior my going out.
I got in the van, put the key in and turned the ignition to ON and no power to anything.
I got out and looked under the hood for anything obvious ... specfically looked at the battery to see if I saw water ... nothing.
I got back in the van and it it starts normally. I checked the battery voltage at idle and it was 13+V.

The only other clues at this junction is I hear a hiss at the vacuum lines in front of the passenger seat and
I notice ... related or not I do not know ... that the voltage gauge drops a bit on acceleration.

I read in another post someone was finding opening and closing the door was resetting the power back ON.

Odd I see several posts and the only reported solution was an incorrectly installed battery wire.
Old September 4th, 2017, 9:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Check the battery terminals. There may be some corrosion. Certainly not typical of side terminal batteries, but not unheard of.
Old September 15th, 2017, 10:57 AM
CF Active Member

The battery bolts are tight. There is no visible corrosion. If there is any it is in the female side of the connection but the battery is only a year old.
I have used dielectric grease on male battery terminal studs to reduce corrosion and make better contact ... and easier removal of clamps.
Are there any reasons to not use dielectric grease on the male battery bolts?
Old September 15th, 2017, 8:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Faulty ignition switch? Was there not a recall? My 2002 got the key froze in the crank position....engine was running and the starter was grinding......had to really twist hard to get the starter to stop so I could limp to a dealer to get a new switch.......I was super pissed.
Old May 12th, 2018, 3:08 PM
CF Active Member

This starting problem was probably due to shorting 'blower motor resistor assembly'. See other posts.