Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Intermittent Starting/running issue w/ 2001

Search this Thread

Old August 4th, 2009, 12:43 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

okay thank you. Well, I will continue my investigation. I noticed the ECU sits in the engine bay and there is a pretty bad power steering leak around that area. Will check it out and report back with anything worthwhile. Otherwise, I'll be driving it and praying I dont get stranded.
Old August 4th, 2009, 10:54 AM
Professional Mechanic

Originally Posted by Chillin014
okay thank you. Well, I will continue my investigation. I noticed the ECU sits in the engine bay and there is a pretty bad power steering leak around that area. Will check it out and report back with anything worthwhile. Otherwise, I'll be driving it and praying I dont get stranded.

If your power steering is leaking above your ECU then I would deffinatly take measures to keep that crap off the ECU. I have had issues with the wiper fluid and crap running onto the ECU and causing a short. I have laid a nice chunk of flat rubber over the ECU and zip tied it to create an alternate path for any fluids that might end up over the ECU. Where is the powersteering fluid coming from? Did you just spill it or is there a leak?
Old August 5th, 2009, 12:56 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by stewdogg
If your power steering is leaking above your ECU then I would deffinatly take measures to keep that crap off the ECU. I have had issues with the wiper fluid and crap running onto the ECU and causing a short. I have laid a nice chunk of flat rubber over the ECU and zip tied it to create an alternate path for any fluids that might end up over the ECU. Where is the powersteering fluid coming from? Did you just spill it or is there a leak?
yeah I am going to fix it, I can't tell exactly where its leaking. I think its the return hose or the reservoir itself. Stupid place for the ECU though.

Either way, I went to start the van up this morning and it would not start. It acts like it wants to...it will sputter a little bit after i stop cranking. I know its getting spark and fuel, so this has got to be something electrical. I almost wonder if the ECU is going bad or something. I have a hard time believing there would be a problem with the injectors if the car will start normal and drive fine some of the time.
Old August 5th, 2009, 2:24 PM
Professional Mechanic

Do or have you had any check engine lights on lately or on only during certain driving conditions?
I would think that you problem is an exposed/rubbed wire going to the ECM or a crank position sensor relearn...
I have had wires rubbed and exposed at the ECM because of a bolt right next to the fender well rubbing against the wiring harness for the ECM (right where the harness connects to the computer). I repaired the wires and stuck a piece of rubber over the threads of the bolt to protect the wiring harness.
What about the possibility of your cat being clogged? Do you have even a slight loss of power? I'm curious about the check engine light.
Old August 5th, 2009, 3:10 PM
CF Junior Member

unfortunately there have been no CEL's as far as I know. This was my dad's work van so he drove it most of the time but he pays good attention to stuff like that and said he didn't notice anything abnormal in that way. He said he felt the car jolt a few times on the way home before the starting problem occurred (like the tranny slipping) but I haven't really noticed anything like that in the days I've been driving it.

I just coaxed the van into starting a few hours ago after a bit of cranking and decided to take it to the store. The van seems to re-start perfectly fine after you get it to start that initial first time of the day. It almost makes me think its a temperature-related problem but I dont know if there are any temp. sensors that have engine control like that (on my Maxima there definitely is and it created a very similar problem).

Aside from the shorted wiring issue you are describing I also thought it may possibly be a timing/ignition thing. I only say this because when i try to start it and the motor stumbles I get some backfiring in the intake here-and-there. I dont know what to make of that. I will be checking out the wiring though, I am about to go replace the power steering reservoir hose right now.
Old August 6th, 2009, 8:48 PM
CF Junior Member

Somebody on another forum is suggesting some of the ignition components could be at fault. He said in Fords the ignition can get worn out and break the connection between the ECM relay which causes similar starting issues. He said it will cut out when driving as well and jiggling the key is necessary to re-establish the connection. I think I might replace some of the ignition stuff on that note.
Old August 7th, 2009, 11:28 AM
Professional Mechanic

Somebody on another forum is suggesting some of the ignition components could be at fault. He said in Fords the ignition can get worn out and break the connection between the ECM relay which causes similar starting issues. He said it will cut out when driving as well and jiggling the key is necessary to re-establish the connection. I think I might replace some of the ignition stuff on that note.
I run a fleet of express vans (plus mitsubishi and dodge sprinter)... I'm not saying they are wrong but I haven't seen those type of problems in these chevy vans. It's pretty common for all of these years to go through fuel pumps. I know you said that the fuel pressure is solid but have you put a pressure tester on it and monitered it throughout the whole cycle of starting (pre-ignition, cranking, and running)? I have put a new fuel pump in and have it go bad 6 months later (ac delco). Just don't want you to start throwing cash at it because the thing that actually fixes it might need that money.
Old August 7th, 2009, 11:38 AM
Professional Mechanic

Aside from the shorted wiring issue you are describing I also thought it may possibly be a timing/ignition thing. I only say this because when i try to start it and the motor stumbles I get some backfiring in the intake here-and-there. I dont know what to make of that. I will be checking out the wiring though, I am about to go replace the power steering reservoir hose right now.
I just went back and read this and thought that it sounds like and air issue (if you say it has good fuel and spark). A partially clogged catalytic converter could do this as well. It could cause it to start real hard and stumble/choke to a start. With this you could have anywhere from a slight to a huge loss of power and a long crank time to start. The first start of the day being the only problem your having is the odd part of it all.
It's really tough to figure this stuff out without being there and hearing the all of the symptoms.
Is this your daily driver? Do you stop it and start it multiple times a day and the only time it gives you flack is the first start of the day? How long does it take to crank to start the first time of the day?
Old August 7th, 2009, 11:26 PM
CF Junior Member

Hmmm. Well, sometimes it doesn't give me any issues at all on the first start up of the day. I've never experienced a cat-converter problem so I will have to take your word for it. I may drop the cat and see what it looks like.
Sometimes when I am cranking the car it feels like the motor is locking up on me and will abruptly stop cranking for a second as well.

I have left the pressure gauge connected to the fuel rail through the whole process as well as driving, yes.

I start the car multiple times during the day sometimes hours apart. Like I said, it doesnt always give me problems on the first start up but that is the most likely time for it to give me problems. I've only actually coaxed it into starting on 2 occasions in which I cranked it on and off for 5 to 10 minutes. But usually I have to give up after a lot of cranking as it seems hopeless. I try everything, holding the gas pedal down, pumping the gas pedal, etc.

it gave me no issues today as I ran errands in the morning and later towed a boat to the lake and back flawlessly. :-/
Old October 14th, 2009, 6:48 PM
CF Junior Member

I still haven't fixed the problem and haven't been driving the van either for the past few months. The van will no longer start, I have tried for the past few days with no luck.
I'm going to drop the cat converter tomorrow and check it out.

I'm getting desperate, we will need to use the van in the near future. I'm worried the ECM has shorted out or something due to the power steering leak, but I don't know how to check it.

Quick Reply: Intermittent Starting/running issue w/ 2001