Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Lifter noise or ?? (2003 Savana Van)

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2020, 11:18 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lifter noise or ?? (2003 Savana Van)

Hi,

I'm wondering about a mysterious ticking sound.
I took off the engine cover/doghouse on my 2003 Savana 2500 Van 6.0L while repairing a few things - water pump,etc.
When about to put the cover back on and starting up for last minute check, I noticed a ticking sound around the back left cylinder, which sounded exactly like a spark plug or wire shorting to ground.
You know, a light tick-tick-tick sound. But I waited 'til nighttime when very dark, and couldn't find any telltale signs of that.

Now I'm thinking, maybe it's a lifter sound.
It does seem to go away after a minute or two, so seems even more likely a lifter type sound.
It's just that I'm used to a lifter sound being more or a solid sound than tick-tick-tick, and I'm not especially familiar with the Vortec engines.
It doesn't really sound bad, just would like to know if I need to fix a spark short before I cover it all back up.

Anyone have an idea ?

Thanks !

Kent

Last edited by Kbarb; May 21st, 2020 at 12:37 PM.
Old May 18th, 2020, 3:18 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

A leak at an exhaust flange or manifold can produce a sound pretty much similar to a lifter noise. This could explain why you dont feel it as loud as a normal lifter tick.

Old May 19th, 2020, 9:21 AM
CF Beginner

That's an interesting idea - thanks, I'll have to check on it.

Part of what I was asking I guess is, does the lifter sound on these engines sound more like ticking as opposed to tocking, if you get my drift.
It's really a very light tick millisecond sort of sound, almost exactly like when a spark plug wire is jumping/shorting to ground.
Old May 21st, 2020, 12:28 PM
CF Beginner

Hey you were right !!
I got out my stethoscope and sure enough, the last bolt on the exhaust manifold was loose.

Actually though, broken off, and kind of deep in there. This is not going to be fun.

Anyway, many thanks for the tip !

Kent
Old May 21st, 2020, 12:32 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Glad you got it sorted out...

Good luck
Old May 25th, 2020, 5:41 PM
CF Active Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Glad you got it solved. I thought mine was a cracked exhaust then bearings and then I found a rebuilt 327. I chose to swap rocker arms since the self centering type from 92 engine seemed to be best idea for hp cam..after swap I adjusted valve lash and noise was gone.. it does help to turn engine over a few times to make sure you get all adjusted and gives back some lost power with just a afternoon with a 5/8 socket